Non scholae, sed vitae discimus.
Not for the school but for life we study.
Every day, HSE contributes to St. Petersburg resembling a truly modern university city. HSE St. Petersburg is one of the leading universities when measured by the quality of the students it enrols, the quality of research, and, I think, is the undisputed leader in the field of social sciences and humanities in Russia’s northwest
The Higher School of Economics is an internationally ranked research university that carries out its mission through research-led academic, project, expert and socio-cultural activities based on international academic standards. We perceive ourselves as a part of the global academic community and believe that international partnership and engagement in global university cooperation are the key elements of our progress. As a Russian university, we work for the welfare of Russia and its citizens.
HSE stands within Top 100 world's best universities in a number of subject fields.
Higher School of Economics in Saint-Petersburg - HSE University St Petersburg
Established in 1998. In 2018, the campus will celebrate its 20th anniversary.
HSE St Petersburg is a globally oriented university and Russia's market leader in teaching and research in the fields of economics, social science and humanities. The campus ranks #3 in Russia and #3 in St. Petersburg among Social Sciences and Economics universities on the freshmen quality (Russian Unified State Examination Ranking 2016). 79% of our students have IELTS score above 6.
HSE University in St Petersburg stands among Top 10% Economic institutions worldwide and in Top 3 Economic institutions in Russian according to RePEc.
Our key features are:
- Combining theory with high-level social, management and humanities methods.
- Interdisciplinary approach to education and research with a strong focus on applied aspects of social and economic policy and project activities and emphasis on countrys' regional specifc.
- Throughout internationalization.
- Talent development.
- HSE St. Petersburg is a space for those interested in understanding the world in its diversity. Both the content and the atmosphere here obey the prime rule: everything, that happens here, happens for the benefit of our students.
HSE St Petersburg Today
HSE St. Petersburg is home to more than 5,000 students, including almost 9% international students from 50+ countries, and around 100 research fellows, many of them holding Master and PhD degrees from the top universities from around the world. Our faculty members publish in top Russian and international academic journals and have diverse experience in consulting for Russian and international market-leading companies as well as for Russian state agencies. The list of our international partners include top-ranked universities around the world.
HSE St. Petersburg runs 15 research centres and laboratories, including 4 international flagship research centres led by world-renowned researchers, as well as 8 standalone research groups where faculty and students jointly carry out research projects.
Facts and Figures:
- 5090+ Undergraduate and Graduate (Master) Students
- 9% of International Students
- 9:1 Student-to-Faculty Ratio
- 25 Full-time Degree Programmes
- 11 Bachelor's degree programmes, 3 in English
- 14 Master's degree programmes, 5 in English
- 150+ Courses Taught in English
HSE St. Petersburg Rankings among Russian Universities:
#2 in St. Petersburg for freshmen quality (the Russian Unified State Examination Ranking 2016)
#3 in Russia among Social Sciences and Economics universities
#2 in Russia in Asian and African Studies
#2 in Russia in Language and Literature Studies
#4 in Russia in Management
#5 in Russia in Sociology
#6 in Russia in Public Administration
#6 in Russia in History
#6 in Russia in Political Science
Education: More Than Economics
Our educational model is based on four features:
- Major-Minor system
- Minors reflecting the core competencies of the campus
- MOOCs embedded into curriculum
- Tutoring system
Internationalization of our degree programmes:
- 8 English-taugth programmes aimed to meet the demands of international applicants without any proficiency in Russian language
- Embedding English taught courses in Russian-language programmes
- International expertise review and international accreditation
- Featuring mandatory semester abroad
- Portfolio of continuing professional education, including professional certificates
- Creation of primary departments
- Internships/practical training/study abroad with the acquisition of area studies competencies
- Area studies minor
- Research and teaching activity prioritizing area studies competencies
This modern structure of our campus reflects the sense of most recent reforms in the Russian Higher Education which endeavor to create knowledge clusters that embrace and combine education, research, professional training and beyond in a wide subject field.
Since 2014, HSE St. Petersburg is comprised of 3 schools.
- St. Petersburg School of Social Science and Area Studies
- St. Petersburg School of Economics and Management
- St. Petersburg School of Law
Most recent developments
Since 2017, we have been offering three Bachelor’s degree programmes which are fully taught in English: Bachelor in International Management, Bachelor in Political Science and World Politics, and Bachelor in Sociology and Social Informatics.
That year the Bachelor’s programme in Economics successfully passed accreditation by ICAEW, a prestigious British association of accountants.
In 2018 such programmes as Political Science and World Politics and Management, and Analytics for Business became Double Degree track with University of Rome Tor Vergata.
We have also developed the new programme: Bachelor in Design (together with HSE Art and Design School). First intake is taking place this year.
HSE University in St. Petersburg offers 11 undergraduate programmes:
- Economics (ACCA- and ICAEW-accredited)
- International Business and Management (in English; CIMA-accredited; Double Degree)
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Public Policy and Analytics
- Asian and African Studies
- Political Science and World Politics (in English; Double Degree)
- Sociology and Social Informatics (in English)
- Design (first intake in 2018)
HSE University in St. Petersburg is among the top Russian universities in terms of average score of 1st year entrants - 88,8 (out of 100).
Key features of undergraduate studies at HSE St. Petersburg:
- individual research work starting from the first year of studies, supervised by an experienced tutor
- opportunity to perform research in laboratories and centres or standalone research groups
- mandatory English proficiency test for international certificate
- participation in international academic conferences together with world's leading scholars
- wide opportunities for international exchange
- option of being contracted and paid as an educational assistant
- access to one of the largest university libraries in Russia
- opportunity to receive multiple scholarships, both merit-based and social activity-based
Graduate (Master degree) Studies
Most recent developments
In 2016, HSE University in St. Petersburg launched new graduate programme: Master in Big Data Analysis for Business, Economics and Society.
Since 2016, our ACCA-accredited Master’s programme in Finance has been delivering fully in English. The programme is a part of the IMESS consortium of universities headed by University College London (UCL). The programme is also run as Double Degree track jointly with UCL.
In 2017, the programme in Finance became a part of QTEM consortium, an international network of the world’s leading business schools.
That year we launched such programmes as Master in Business and Politics in Modern Asia and transformed the Master in Comparative Politics in Eurasia to 100% English tuition.
In 2018, we have developed two more graduate programmes: Master in Information Systems and Human-Computer Interaction, and Management and Analytics for Business.
By now we offer five graduate programmes fully taught in English: Applied and Interdisciplinary History, Finance, Comparative Politics of Eurasia, Business and Politics in Modern Asia, Management and Analytics for Business.
We offer 14 graduate programmes:
- Law and Public Administration
- Applied and Interdisciplinary History 'Usable Pasts' (in English)
- Applied Economics and Mathematical Methods
- Big Data Analysis for Business, Economics and Society
- Civil and Commercial Law
- Cultural and Event Tourism Management
- Finance (in English; ACCA-accredited, IMESS-accredited; Double Degree)
- Modern Social Analysis
- Comparative Politics of Eurasia (in English)
- Urban Development and Governance
- Strategic Management in Logistics
- Business and Politics in Modern Asia (in English)
- Management and Analytics for Business (in English; first intake in 2018)
- Information Systems and Human Computer Interaction (first intake in 2018)
Graduate studies at HSE St. Petersburg are about:
- Opportunity to change previous area of study and master new focus
- Participation in international internships and student exchanges
- Opportunity to become paid educational assistant or teacher
- Participation in research and design work in laboratories and research centres at HSE St. Petersburg
Postgraduate (Doctoral) programmes
- History and Archeology
- Sociology and Social Work
- Political Science and Area Studies
Postgraduate (Doctoral) studies at HSE St. Petersburg key features:
- Immersion in a highly organized academic environment at the university
- Working in international laboratories under the direction of leading Russian and foreign researchers
- Free access to relevant electronic resources at the HSE library, including a database of Russian and foreign periodicals and electronic books, a database of foreign dissertations, ISI Web of Knowledge and Scopus indices, and publications and statistical resources of the World Bank, OECD and the IMF
- International internships
- Participation in Russian and international research projects, and activities
The best-prepared postgraduate students are selected for the Full-time Advanced Postgraduate Programme at HSE.
- Monthly scholarship of 30,000 RUB and further opportunities to compete for special additional scholarships
- Full-time work and participation in the activities of research centres and laboratories at the university
- Supervision by leading international researchers
- Mandatory internship at one of HSE’s foreign partner universities
- IELTS preparation course embedded into curricula
- Wide range of international academic and corporate partnerships
- International faculty and great international students body
- 4 international summer schools
- Informal Russia semester programme for Russian and foreign students
Our key International Partners around the world:
- University of Oslo
- Alexanteri Insitute, University of Helsinki
- Jonkoping International Business School
- University of Bremen
- Vienna University of Economics and Business
- King's College London
- Beijing Normal University
- Fudan University
- Solvay Business School of Free University of Brussels
- University of Jena
- LILLE 1 University (France)
- Aix-Marseille University (France)
- Business School of University of Mannheim (Germany)
Executive Training and Business Education
HSE St. Petersburg Institute of Excetutive Training offers a great range of corporate and executive programmes.
Business education at HSE St. Petersburg embraces:
- Programmes that combine theory and practical skills for daily business
- Various learning formats ranging from two-day short courses to ten-month programmes
- High standards of training and outstanding faculty members
- Modern educational environment
Our Corporate Partners
A degree from the Higher School of Economics is a warrant of highest empoyability and rapid career both on domestic and international markets.
Based on recent alumni survey
Research at HSE St. Petersburg
Research and innovation at HSE St. Petersburg are closely related to our degree programmes and are carried out within 4 interdisciplinary areas of excellence.
City, Space and International Development
- International Centre for Market Studies and Spatial Economics (Academic Advisor - Jacques-Francois Thisse, CORE, KU Leuven / HSE University St. Petersburg)
- Laboratory of Urban Studies
Diversity and Comparative Social and Cultural Research
- International Centre for Health Economics, Management & Policy (Lead by Prof. Paul Kind, University of Leeds, UK /
HSE University St. Petersburg and Prof. Christopher Gerry, HSE University St. Petersburg)
- International Laboratory of Comparative Social Research (Academic Supervisor – Prof. Ronald Ingelhart, Michigan University, USA / HSE University St. Petersburg)
- International Research Project “Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism” (Head of the project Ronald G. Suny, University of Chicago / HSE University St. Petersburg)
- Laboratory for Sociology of Education and Science Studies
- Center for Youth Studies
- Laboratory for Comparative Legal Research
- Laboratory for Economics of Culture
- Center for Asian and African Studies
Digital Social Sciences and Humanities
Sustainable Business Development in a Global Economy
- Laboratory for Corporate Innovation Systems Research
- Scentific Laboratory of Logistics Research
HSE St. Petersburg is a centre of excellence for the implementation of applied research that has been commissioned by state agencies and local governments in Russia’s Northwestern Federal District, primarily St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region, as well as large and medium-sized companies with headquarters in the Northwestern Federal District, in the following segments:
- Industrial (special economic zones, industrial parks), innovation infrastructure (technology parks, engineering centres), and markets
- Territorial clusters
- Strategies/programmes for territorial development (constituent entities of the Russian Federation and the city)
Research by the Centre for Applied Research and Development is carried out in close collaboration with leading Russian and international experts, as well as with representatives of academia, business and government. This research is intended to provide analytical and expert support for economic policy implemented in the regions of the Northwestern Federal District and beyond.