Undergraduate Studies at HSE St. Petersburg
Bachelor's programmes at HSE University St. Petersburg
- HSE St. Petersburg currently offers 11 undergraduate programmes in seven fields of study leading to a state-accredited Bachelor’s degree;
- 8 undergraduate programmes at HSE St. Petersburg are delivered mostly in Russian and therefore require high Russian language proficiency; please note that all Russian-taught programmes also embed minimum 25% of courses in English;
- 3 international undergraduate programmes at HSE St. Petersburg are delivered 100% in English to meet the demands of international applicants without any knowledge of Russian language (a preparatory year is NOT required to enroll to these programmes):
Apply online // Download programme leaflet
Bachelor in Political Science and World Politics
Apply online // Download programme leaflet
Apply online // Download programme leaflet
Bachelor's Degree Requirements
- 4 years, full-time studies
- 240 ECTS credits
- Final examination (except the Bachelor’s in Economics and Bachelor’s in Public Policy and Analytics programmes)
- Thesis paper (all programmes; can be completed in Russian or English)
Undergraduate Admissions – General Requirements
- Online application submitted before the deadline for 2018-2019 intake: August 10, 2018
- High school certificate or equivalent recognized by the Russian Federation and duly legalized, if applicable (if you do not yet have your high school certificate at the time of application, you can submit an official high school transcript pf records for last 3 years)
- Successfull passing of 2 programme-specific entrance examinations (remote test form or in-person examination form)
- Completing required enrollment procedures (arriving to St. Petersburg, signing study contract and paying the first tuition fee installment) by August, 30 at the latest
Undergraduate Application Procedure and Deadlines
HSE currently provides one intake per academic year with the start of classes on September 1.
The application period for 2018-2019 intake is open from November 15, 2017 till August 10, 2018 (deadline)
Applications submitted before February 28, 2018 will be considered for full tuition scholarships. Tuition free scholarships are awarded to the restricted number of highly qualified applicants. No additional application for scholarship is required.
Applications are considered on the Rolling Admission principle - e.g. the sooner you submit your application the better chances you have to receive an enrollment offer and a scholarship offer.
Applications to our undergraduate programmes are made online through the Applicant's Personal Account (APA) at HSE website. Successfull applicants have to provide an admission package in hard copy via post on later steps of application & admissions process.
Please follow next steps to apply for our undergraduate programmes:
Step 1: Choose your programme
Check out the catalogue of our undergraduate programmes, choose up to 2 programmes, learn about tuition fees and scholarship availability, visit programme's website to learn more about the programme and programme-specific admission requirements.
Step 2: Create your Applicant's Personal Account (APA)
- visit the Applicant's Personal Account webpage
- click "Get login and password" link, fill out simple registration form and click "Submit application" button
- within 72 hours after registration you will receive your APA login and password to your e-mail address
Step 3: Prepare and submit your application from APA
- login to APA using your credentials; you will directly access the application form
- carefully fill out the application form, choose up to 2 undergraduate programmes that you want to apply for in the "Field of study" box
- please indicate if you want to apply and compete for HSE Gold Scholarship (100% tuition fee waiver) by ticking the "Tuition-free (quota)" box; if this box is not tickable, it means that the programme you choose does not provide scholarships and only tuition fee-based study is available
- carefully prepare in advance and attach all required documents to your application form:
- Copy of the first page of your travelling passport;
- Copy of your high school certificate or equivalent; if you have not received your high school certificate yet, please attach a recent transcript of grades and marks for last 3 years; please note: these documents are required to be in English, or in Russian, or in any other language with attached translation into English or Russian language;
- Additional application documents (if available): International Language Certificates (TOEFL, IETLS, CAE), Russian as a foreign language certificate (TRKI), international competitions, olympiads etc. diplomas, other academic achievements certificates. It is strongly recommended to attach only the most recent certificates, max 3-4 in total.
- when your application is completed, wait a little - do not click "Submit application" unless you are sure all your attachements are properly uploaded!
- Be careful: once submitted, no changes can be made to your application except attaching missing documents; duplicate applications are not allowed.
Step 4: Application review and entrance examinations
- you application will be forwarded to International Admissions for preliminary review. Should we need to clarify anything in your application, we will send you an email enquire. It is essential to reply to our enquires timely - if we do not receive a timely reply, your application might be rejected.
- should you application be all right, your admission is now subject to successful entrance examinations.
- if you reside in a country that is on the visiting list of the HSE Selection Commission in 2018, you will have to pass entrance tests in your country during the visit of HSE Selection Commission - please check out the list of countries, follow the schedule and register for tests properly!
- if you reside in a country where the HSE Selection Commission will not go in 2018 you will receive and email invitation for online entrance tests (proctoring).
- you will have to select a proper combination of entrance tests in accordance with the list of entrance examinations for the programme you are applying for.
- register for the tests according to the guidelines in the e-mail. Check out test regulations, technical requirements and prepare yourself using test samples.
- don't miss you test appointment! Test results will be published in your APA within a week after the test.
- international applicants also have a right to take the in-person entrance examinations in Saint-Petersburg on August 10-20, 2018 (the schedule will be published in July).
Step 5: Admission based on the entrance exams / tests results
- to become eligible for enrollment, you have to earn minimal pass score for each of two tests required for a relevant programme; should you earn minimal pass score, the status of your application in APA will change to "recommended for commercial (self-funded) studies", and you will receive an email notification with further instructions;
- applicants earned test scores above the average may become eligible for the HSE Best Applicant Scholarship (discount off tuition fee);
- nominations for the HSE Gold Scholarships are made upon the final ranking of applicant's overall score (sum of scores for two tests) for each programme.
1) the applicant who earned a bigger score for the test that has a higher priority in the list of entrance examinations for the relevant programme;
2) the applicant who has participated in the HSE Internaitonal Youth Olympiad and earned a bigger score for the relevant discipline.
We would like to remind you that all nominations for the HSE Gold Scholarship are conditional unless approved by the HSE Quota Commission. This procedure is rather formal and does not require any special action from the nominees. The final decision on the allocation of a state-funded quota place is taken by the Ministry of Education and Science of Russian Federation upon the HSE Quota Commission's nomination and applicant's Final Scholarship Application Package.
Step 6: Preparing your enrollment after your arrival to Saint-Petersburg
You are nominated for the HSE Gold Scholarship: please strictly follow these guidelines!
You earned a minimal score for each test and became eligible for enrollment for self-funded (tuition fee) studies:
- you will receive a Conditional Letter of Admission and guidelines for the next steps
- it is essential to pay the first tuition fee installment and to bring the Enrollment Package with you to Saint-Petersburg before August 28, 2018 at the very latest as stated in the guidelines
- in case you need a Russian student visa, please fill out the visa invitation application form as soon as possible
- to sign the enrollment contract with the university, your passport has to be valid at least until the end of March, 2019 (18 months ahead the commencement of the academic year); the enrollment contract for underaged applicants should be signed by one of the parents or by a legal representative
All information about arrivals, accommodation, orientation meetings etc. will be sent to you upon confirmation of your study place. Please feel free to visit the HSE St. Petersburg International Student Support website to learn more about campus facilities.
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!