Mandatory migration procedures for international students
Each foreign student arriving to Russia for stay over 90 days must undergo obligatory medical examination, fingerprinting, and biometric photographing. These procedures must be done within 90 days from the date of arrival in Russia. But keep in mind that it is better to start performing them right after you receive a temporary registration after arrival in Russia.
Who is exempt from undergoing the new procedures?
- Citizens of the Republic of Belarus;
- Family members of international officials and employees of diplomatic and consular institutions in Russia;
- Foreign nationals with dual citizenship, one of which is Russian;
- Foreign nationals – holders of temporary or permanent Russian residence permits.
What if I don’t do these procedures?
- Your period of stay in Russia will be shortened, and you will be forced to leave the country within 3 days;
- If it happens more than once, you may be denied entry for several years.
What do the procedures consist of?
1. Medical examination includes: chemical-toxicological tests (urine), blood-work for infectious diseases (syphilis, HIV), chest X-ray/CT scan, check-up with a tuberculosis specialist, infectionist, dermatovenerologist.
Important: If you’re prescribed certain medicine that you take on a regular basis, please specify with the staff in advance whether it is compatible with the testing included in the state medical examination.
2. Fingerprinting and photographing: Your biometrics are taken in order to issue an international visitor’s ID – a crucial document that you must carry with you at all times after you receive it.
How do I sign up for these procedures?
- Don't procrastinate! Do these procedures the sooner, the better, while your passport hasn't been taken for visa prolongation.
- Bring a buddy. Ask your Russian-speaking friend to help you with communication with the staff. It is allowed to bring them along if you and they are comfortable with it. Learn about buddies and request one here.
- Fingerprinting and photographing must be done only once, but the medical certificates are valid for a year. Check your certificates and undergo the procedure again within 30 days after the medical certificate's expiration date.
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.