Mandatory medical examination, fingerprinting, and photographing
According to the federal law ‘On the legal status of foreign citizens in the Russian Federation’, international students staying in Russia for more than 90 days are required to undergo medical examination, fingerprinting, and photographing. These procedures must be done within 90 days after your arrival.
Whom does this not apply to?
Categories of foreign citizens exempt from these procedures:
- Children under 6 years
- Officials of international (interstate, intergovernmental) organisations
- Employees of diplomatic and consular institutions and their family members (on the basis of reciprocity)
- Citizens of the Republic of Belarus
- Foreign citizens who have a valid residence permit in Russia
What do the procedures consist of?
1. A medical examination. It includes:
- Chemical-toxicological tests (urine)
- Blood-work for infectious diseases (syphilis, HIV)
- Chest X-ray/CT scan
- Check-up with a tuberculosis specialist, infectionist, dermatovenerologist
The medical examination certificates are valid for 12 months, meaning it must be undergone every 12 months.
Important: If you’re prescribed certain medicine that you take on a regular basis, please specify with the staff in advance whether it is compatible with the testing included in the state medical examination.
2. Fingerprinting and photographing
Your biometrics are taken in order to issue an international visitor’s ID – a crucial document that you must carry with you at all times after you receive it.
How do I sign up for these procedures?
Visit Единый центр документов (United Centre for Documents). As of 28.07.22, the price of medical examination is ₽4900 + ₽350 for the photo.*
For your first visit, bring the documents confirming your legal stay in Russia:
- Your passport (translation can be done in the Centre)
- Migration card + copy
- Visa + copy
- FIS registration + copy
*You can also undergo the medical examination part at any of the approved organisations from this list. Contact the clinic of choice to find out about the working hours, required documents, and pricing.
What if I don’t do these procedures?
- Your period of stay in Russia will be shortened and you will be asked to leave the country in 3 days.
- If it happens more than once, you may be denied entry for several years.
- Don't procrastinate! Do these procedures as soon as possible, while your passport hasn't been taken for visa prolongation.
- Bring a buddy. Ask your Russian-speaking friend to help you with communication with the staff. It is allowed to bring them along if you and they are comfortable with it. Learn about buddies and request one here.
If you have any questions left, do not hesitate to contact us:
Visa & Migration Support Office: firstname.lastname@example.org;
Centre for International Student Support: email@example.com.
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.