Graduate (Master) Studies at HSE University - St. Petersburg
Graduate opportunities at HSE University St. Petersburg - 2017
- HSE - St. Petersburg currently offers 13 full-time graduate programmes in six fields of study leading to a state-accredited Master’s degree.
- 10 graduate programmes at HSE - St. Petersburg are delivered in Russian language and also include courses taught in English. The proportion of English-taught and Russian-taught courses inside curricula varies among programmes. This means that proficiency in both Russian and English is required to meet entry requirements and to successfully graduate from these programmes.
- 3 international graduate programmes at HSE - St. Petersburg are aimed at international applicants and are taught 100% in English:
Apply now on-line! Download Programme Leaflet
Master in Comparative Politics of EurasiaApply now on-line! Download Programme Leaflet
Master in Finance (ACCA-accredited)
Apply now on-line! Download Programme Leaflet
Our Master in Finance programme is also member of the IMESS programme (led by University College London (UCL), which offers its students the opportunity to earn two degrees - a Master’s degree in Economics and Business from UCL and a Master’s degree in Finance from HSE. Applications to the IMESS programme are managed by UCL. Please click here for application details.
To learn about all international graduate programmes offered at other HSE campuses, please visit the HSE International Admission website.
Master's Degree Requirements
- 2 years, full-time studies
- 120 ECTS credits
- Final examination (only in the Master’s in Advocacy, Master’s in Big Data Analysis and Master’s in Civic and Commercial Law programmes)
- Thesis Paper (can be completed in Russian or English; should be completed in English in all international programmes taught in English)
- On-line application submitted before the deadline for 2017 intake: August, 16
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent recognized by the Russian Federation and duly legalized (if applicable)
- Meeting language proficiency requirements:
Russian language proficiency for Russian-taught programmes (high proficiency in Russian is required and is checked during the interview)
- Successfull application review, incl. an interview with programme's selection committee
- Completing required enrollment procedures (arriving to St. Petersburg, signing study contract and paying the first tuition fee installment) by August, 28 at latest
Application, Admission and Enrollment Procedures and Deadlines
HSE currently provides one intake per academic year with the start of classes on September 1 (October 1 for Master in Applied and Interdisciplinary History).
The application period for 2017 intake is open from November 1, 2016 till August 16, 2017 (deadline).
The application period is devided into 3 rounds as below:
|1 round (closed)||2 round (closed)||3 round NOW OPEN!|
|applications submission period||01.11.2016 - 01.02.2017||01.02-01.05.2017||01.05-16.08.2017|
|application review and interview period||till 10.02.2017||till 12.05.2017||till 20.08.2017|
|HSE Gold Scholarship (quota) award decision||till 20.02.2017||till 20.05.2017||no HSE Gold Scholarships are awarded in this round - |
only applications for self-funded places are considered
Applications are considered on the Rolling Admission principle - e.g. the sooner you submit your application the better chances you have to receive an enrollment offer and a scholarship offer!
Applications to our graduate programmes are made on-line through the Applicant's Personal Account (APA) at HSE website. Successfull applicants have to provide an admission package in hard copy via post on later steps of application & admissions process.
Please follow next steps to apply for our graduate programmes:
Step 1: Choose your programme
Check out the catalogue of our graduate (Master's) programmes, choose up to 2 programmes, learn about tuition fees and scholarship availability, visit programme's website to learn more about the programme and programme-specific admission requirements.
Step 2: Create your Applicant's Personal Account (APA)
- visit the Applicant's Personal Account webpage
- should the page appear in Russian language, please switch to English version by clicking the Union Jack icon in the upper right corner of the page
- click "Get login and password" link, fill out simple registration form (select "Master's degree programme" in the "type of programme' field) and click "Submit application" button
- within 5-7 working days after registration you will receive your APA login and password to your email
Step 3: Prepare and submit your application from APA
- login to APA using your credentials; you will directly access the application form
- carefully fill out the application form, choose the language of instruction and up to 2 graduate programmes that you want to apply for in the "Field of study" box. To select a programme, click on the box so that it turns green and the list collapses
- please indicate if you want to apply and compete for HSE Gold Scholarship (100% tuition fee waiver) by ticking the "Tuition-free (quota)" box; if this box is not tickable, it means that the programme you choose does not provide scholarships and only tuition fee-based study is available
- Please note that application for HSE Gold Scholarship is only possible if you apply to our graduate programmes before May 1, 2017. Please refer to Scholarships section to learn more about HSE Gold Scholarship
- carefully prepare in advance and attach all required documents of portfolio:
- Scan copy of the first page of your travelling passport
- EuroPass CV (in English - for international programmes; in Russian - for other programmes)
- Motivation letter up to 1 A4 page 12 pt (in English - for international programmes; in Russian - for other programmes)
- 1 or 2 reference letters in English or in Russian with contacts of the reference person
- Scan copy of your previous degree certificates, diplomas with supplements, or academic transcripts (if you have not yet received your Bachelor’s diploma); the document should be in Russian or in English language, otherwise enclose a translation into Russian or English
- International English Language Certificate: IELTS 6.0 / TOEFL iBT 80-90 / TOEFL PBT 500-550 / CAE / CPE / BEC
The certificate is mandatory for English-taught programmes Master in Finance, Master in Applied and Interdisciplinary History, Master in Comparative Politics of Eurasia;
Important! Native English speakers and applicants whose previous degree was delivered in English are exempt from this requirement!
This certificate is optional for Russian-taught programmes and will give additiona score to applicant's portfolio.
- Additional documents on your recent acedmic, scientific or professional achievements.
Please make sure all files are in Adobe PDF format and do not exceed 10 Mb in size each.
- when your application is completed and all files are attached, click "Submit application" - you will see the following message: “Congratulations! Your application has been successfully submitted and is currently pending review”
Important! Please fill out this application form properly and carefully - once sumbitted, no changes can be made to your application; duplicate applications are not allowed.
Step 4: Interview
- you application will be forwarded to first priority programme's selection committee for review. Subject to preliminary evaluation, the selection committee may approve your application and invite you for an on-line interview or reject your application and forward it to second priority programme's selection committee; should the second priority programme reject your application too, you will receive an email notification
- pre-approved applicants receive an on-line interview appointment via email; normally the interview should take place within 2 weeks after your application
- after you receive an interview appointemnt, please kindly confirm it and email us yur Skype ID or other appropriate communication method
- keep in mind that the interview is most crucial step of your application - keep calm and prepare to present yourself well!
- do not miss the appointment; should there be a solid reason for missing the date and time, please let the programme's selection committee know it in as advance as possible by sending an email to email@example.com
- it may take up to 6-8 weeks to evaluate the results of the interview and portfolio competition; you will receive an email notification with programme's selection committee decision and further steps guidelines
- during the interview the Commission will discuss with you various aspects of your application; the applicants have to show good motivation, general academi capacity and programme-specific skills; the interview is conducted in the language of instruction of selected programme, except the Master in Experience Economy, where the langauge of the interview is English
- after the interview the Commission evaluates the portfolio and sets the portfolio overall score
Step 5: Results of Application Review (Portfolio Competition)
Subject to the Application Review overall score, including the score earned at the interview, the programme's selection committee may:
- approve your application and nominate you to the short list of candidates for the HSE Gold Scholarship
- please note that the decision on the HSE Gold Scholarship nominations is taken at the end of each application round as stated above basing on the nominees overall application score ranking;
- all nominees for the HSE Gold Scholarship are automatically eligible to enroll to self-funded (tuition fee) places. Hence, while waiting for the HSE Gold Scholarship nominations at the end of application round, we advise you to proceed with preparing the documents for self-funded admissions - for the case if you do not receive the scholarship award.
- HSE Gold Scholarship nominations are subject to approval by the HSE Quota Commission. Final decision is made by the Ministry of Education and Science of Russia.
- approve your application for a self-funded (tuition fee) studies
- in this case you will receive a Conditional Letter of Acceptance, a Study Contract Offer and guidelines for further steps;
- you will have a limited timeframe to accept this offer;
- please strictly follow the guidelines to ensure your smooth enrollment!
- depending on your performance during the interview and on the score of your application, you may become eligible for the HSE Top Applicant Scholarship
- reject your application
if the second priority programme reject your application as well, unfortunately, we are unable to admit you to our graduate studies this year.
Please feel free to apply for our programmes next year!
HSE Gold Scholarship nomination at the end of application round
At the end of application rounds 1 and 2, the applicants ranking by the Application overall score is considered and HSE Gold Scholarships are awarded to top ranked candidates from the short-list. Should you receive the HSE Gold Scholarship award:
- you will receive a notification on your nomination and the guidelines for further steps
- you will have a very limited timeframe to accept this offer
- if accepted, please be prepared to send a specific set of documents in hard copy to HSE and strictly follow the guidelines as above
The academic year at HSE - Saint Petersburg starts on September, 1 except the Master in Applied and Interdisciplinary History 'Usable Pasts' where the year starts on October, 1.
All information about arrivals, accommodation, orientation meetings etc. will be sent to you upon confirmation of your study place. Please feel free to visit the HSE - St. Petersburg International Student Support website to learn more about campus facilities.
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!