Graduate Studies at HSE University – St Petersburg
HSE University – St Ptersburg currently offers 16 graduate programmes in different fields of study:
- 11 graduate programmes are delivered in Russian language and also include courses taught in English. The proportion of English-taught and Russian-taught courses inside curricula varies among programmes. This means that proficiency in both Russian and English is required to meet entry requirements and to successfully graduate from these programmes.
- 5 programmes are fully aught in English.
Programmes in English
Programmes in Russian
Features of the Programmes
- 2 years, full-time studies
- 120 ECTS credits
- Online application submitted before the deadline for 2018-2019 intake: August 20, 2019
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent recognized by the Russian Federation and duly legalized (if applicable)
- Meeting language proficiency requirements: specific English language proficiency requirements for English-taught programmes (see portfolio description for minimal requirements and waivers) and Russian language proficiency for Russian-taught programmes (high proficiency in Russian is required and is checked during the interview).
- Successfull application review, incl. an interview with programme's selection committee
- Completing required enrollment procedures (arriving to St Petersburg, signing study contract and paying the first tuition fee installment) by August, 31 at latest.
How to Apply
Choose your programme
Create your Applicant's Personal Account (APA)
Visit the Applicant's Personal Account webpage.
To access your APA you need to get your own login and password. Click 'Get login and password' and fill out a simple registration form.
It’s important to provide a working and accessible email address and contact phone number in this application otherwise we may be unable to contact you regarding further application steps.
Within 72 hours you will receive your APA login and password to your email address.
To make application process simpler for you we have prepared a short tutorial video about filling out the application form.
Prepare and submit your application from APA
Login to APA using your credentials and carefully fill out the application form.
We recommend you to prepare your documents in advance. You will need:
- Scan copy of the first page of your passport and your recent photo;
- Copy of your previous diploma (or equivalent) with diploma supplement / academic transcript. If you have not received your Bachelor’s diploma yet, please submit the transcript of records AND the document stating the date you will receive your diploma;
- EuroPass CV;
- Motivation letter (for both programme you are applying for);
- At least one reference letter with contacts of the reference person;
- Not compulsory, but additional: documents on your recent academic, scientific or professional achievements, language proficiency certificates.
You are allowed to apply for up to 2 undergraduate programmes (1st and 2nd priorities).
If you would like to apply for HSE Gold Scholarship (100% tuition fee waiver) tick the 'Tuition-free (quota)' box; if this box is not tickable, it means that the programme you choose does not provide scholarships and only tuition fee-based study is available.
Please note that getting HSE Gold Scholarship is possible if you apply before February 28, 2019.
Double-check the correctness of your application before clicking 'Submit application'.
Your application will be forwarded to International Admissions for preliminary review. We will send you an email if there is a need to clarify your portfolio. It is essential to reply us timely. If we do not receive a timely reply, your application might be rejected.
After preliminary review your application will be forwarded to first priority programme's selection committee. The selection committee may approve your application and invite you for an online interview or reject your application and forward it to second priority programme's selection committee. In case the second priority programme rejects your application too, you will receive an email notification.
Pre-approved applicants receive online interview appointment via email. Normally the interview should take place within 2 weeks after your application. Check your email regularly to avoid missing the interview appointment.
After you have received the interview appointment, please confirm it and email us your Skype ID.
Do not miss the appointment! There should be a solid reason for missing the date and time, please let the programme's selection committee know it in as in advance as possible by sending an email to email@example.com
Keep in mind that the interview is most crucial step of your application, so keep calm and prepare to present yourself well.
During the interview you will be asked about various aspects of your application. Applicants have to show good motivation, general academic capacity and programme specific skills.
It may take up to 6-8 weeks to evaluate the results of the interview and portfolio competition. You will receive an e-mail notification with programme's selection committee decision and further steps guidelines.
Results of Application Review (Portfolio Competition)
Subject to the application review overall score, including the score earned at the interview, the programme's selection committee may:
1. Approve your application and nominate you to the short list of candidates for HSE Gold Scholarship (100% annual tuition fee waiver).
Please note: HSE Gold Scholarship nominations are subject to approval by the HSE Quota Commission. Final decision is made by the Ministry of Education and Science of Russian Federation.
2. Approve your application for a self-funded studies.
Depending on results of your application review, you may become eligible for the HSE Top Applicant Scholarship:
- 60-74 score — 25% of the annual tuition fee waiver
- above 75 score — 50% of the annual tuition fee waiver
3. Reject your application
If the first priority programme rejects your application, it will be automatically forwarded to the second priority programme. If the second priority programme rejects your application, unfortunately, we are unable to admit you to our graduate studies this year.
Please feel free to apply for our programmes next year!
Prepare your enrolment and arrival to St Petersburg
1. If you are nominated for the HSE Gold Scholarship: please follow Guidelines for international applicants conditionally nominated for HSE Gold Scholarship 2018 state-funded quota.
2. If you became eligible for enrollment for self-funded (tuition fee) studies, please follow Guidelines for International Applicants conditionally accepted to self-funded (tuition fee) graduate (Master's) studies at HSE - Saint Petersburg.
All information about arrivals, accommodation, orientation meetings etc. will be sent to you upon confirmation of your study place.
Programmes begin on September, 1
- Managements and Analytics for Business
Programmes begin on September, 17
- Master’s in Applied and Interdisciplinary History 'Usable Pasts'
Programmes begin on October, 1
- Comparative Politics of Eurasia
- Business and Politics in Modern Asia
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.