В старых версиях браузеров сайт может отображаться некорректно. Для оптимальной работы с сайтом рекомендуем воспользоваться современным браузером.
Bachelor's Programme in Political Science and World Politics
Political Science and World Politics
The programme provides students with the skills necessary for pursuing careers in policy development and international relations. By integrating, political science, public policy, IR and project management, it focuses on the following key subjects: political systems in the world, global economy, relations between states and other international actors, global policy and decision-making.
Starting in the programme’s second year, students have an opportunity to study a second language (Сhinese, French, German, Portuguese or Russian) and focus on a specific region: Europe, BRICS countries or Post-Soviet Space. Our graduates work in a diverse array of fields: regional and municipal government, diplomatic missions, chambers of commerce, NGOs, international event-management organizations, and much more.
«Political Science and World Politics» is a four-year undergraduate programme, which is taught entirely in English. It provides students with a comprehensive overview of world politics to pursue careers in politics, policymaking, governance, International Relations, analytics, journalism and other adjacent spheres. Quality education in Political Science and International Relations is accompanied by advanced research methods training and practical skills in project management and decision-making. Furthermore, students have an opportunity to learn a second foreign language and focus on a specific region: Europe, BRICS countries or Post-Soviet Space.
This programme may be especially interesting for those who:
- are interested in Russian politics, as well as political developments in other countries and global affairs;
- want to learn how to design and implement public policies and political projects;
- want to master social science research methods and techniques, including qualitative research and data analysis;
- want to learn more about the regions of the world, as well as to study foreign languages.
Advantages of the Programme
1. Synthesis of Political Science and International Relations: the curriculum combines disciplines on Political Science and International Relations to provide students with a holistic view on the world politics. It allows alumni to pursue a wider range of careers on both national and global levels.
2. International Accreditation: in 2020 the programme was granted international accreditation by the Central Evaluation and Accreditation Agency (ZEvA), and the quality of education in a programme complies with the international standards (learn more).
3. Regional Tracks: students may choose a regional track – a set of disciplines devoted to political and social development of a particular region. Currently there are three tracks: European Union, BRICS (for students applying in 2022 – Contemporary Politics of China) and Post-Soviet Space. All consist of three disciplines, taught at the 3rd and 4th year of study.
4. Second Foreign Language: all students of the programme choose the second foreign language they learn at their second and third year of study: Chinese, French, German, Portuguese or Russian, as well as Spanish (for students applying in 2022).
5. Applied Research Skills: apart from the core courses on Political Science and International Relations, students will get advanced research skills and training in qualitative and quantitative methods of analysis, including statistics and data analysis. Upon graduation, they can work as analysts and researchers in public-policy, marketing, business management and other areas of applied research. They may continue their academic education at the best master’s programmes of Europe and Russia.
We consider the labor market to be flexible nowadays, so we design the curriculum the way that students may have a wide range of skills and career trajectories upon graduation. Our alumni typically continue their studies and enroll in various prestigious MA programmes in political science, international relations, as well as a number of adjacent academic areas. Some of our students start working right after graduation. They get employed in a variety of organizations: public authorities, NGOs, private companies or media outlets. To learn more about the success stories of our graduates, please check the Alumni page.
Students may pursue careers in the following major areas:
public policy, decision-making and government affairs;
International Relations, diplomacy and international organizations;
Public Relations (PR) and Government Relations (GR);
campaign management, project management and consultancy;
analytics and applied research for policymaking, marketing and business management;
journalism and communication;
academic research in Political Science, Public Policy and International Relations.
To learn about the international admissions and apply for the programme, please visit this page
Traveling to another country to study might not be an easy choice, given possible difficulties with preparing documents and adapting to a new environment. In order to help international students, the HSE University has created the Association of International Students, and each program has a tutor, ready to help international students with all questions. We have talked to Sofia and Anastasia, our second-year students, to learn more about their activities as tutors. Let's meet them!
In January, UPES University (India) held the International Student Winter School 'Business and Governance in India'. HSE University-St Petersburg was represented by students of the bachelor's programmes 'Political Science and World Politics' and 'International Bachelor's in Business and Economics', as well as the Master's programme 'International Business in the Asia-Pacific Region'. Read on to find out what the students learned from the Winter School what lasting impressions they have.
Students of the Bachelor's programme 'Political Science and World Politics' have carried out joint research with the pharmaceutical company GEROPHARM. Together with experts, the future political scientists studied the restrictions faced by families of children with type 1 diabetes.
The Master's programme 'Comparative Politics of Eurasia' trains specialists in the internal and external politics of post-Soviet countries. Students learn how to combine qualitative and quantitative methods of analysis with theoretical approaches from various social sciences. The programme has three educational tracks: one in research and two applied ones. Andrey Starodubtsev, Academic Supervisor of the programme, explains which subjects students will learn and where they will be able to undertake internships.