Practical training is a form of educational activity during studies under a given degree programme, with learners completing certain types of tasks, related to their future professional activities and aimed at building, consolidating, and developing practical skills and competencies specific to the respective degree programme. The goals and objectives of practical training shall be attained through the implementation of PTEs. The implementation of practical training for HSE students is provided in the module of the study plan of the educational programme, that is titled "Internship".
The procedure for organizing and conducting PTEs of HSE students is regulated by Regulations on Practical Training of Students under Core Bachelor’s, Specialist and Master’s Programmes at HSE University
You can also read about the organization of internship at the HSE in the academic handbook at the link
The conditions and features of the implementation of PTEs provided by the curriculum of the study plan of the educational programme "Finance" students of intake 2021 are described in the Practical Training Programme: Internship Programme MiM&A.
The conditions and features of the implementation of PTEs provided by the curriculum of the study plan of the educational programme "Finance" students of intake 2022 are described in the Practical Training Programme: Internship Programme MiM&A 2022.
You can learn more about the preparation of Master's dissertation in the document "Guidelines for Master Dissertation" on the page "Final State Certification".
Year of study
Practical training elements
Credits and academic hours
Module 4 of 1st year – Module 3 of 2nd year
Science and Research Internship
*The mandatory project activity is 3 ECTS credits for students of the year of enrolment 2022 and was 2 credits for students of the year of enrolment 2021. Within the framework of these credits, it is possible to take any number of projects. If you take only one project that weighs more credits than required, it will be considered your mandatory project. All additional projects will be counted as electives.
Science and Research Internship
The programme provides one educational Science and research internship in the 3rd module of the 2nd year of study.
According to the study plan, the duration of this internship is 228 hours of which 2 hours are contact.
Science research internship is conducted from 09.01.2023 to 25.02.2023 .
Place of internship
The place of the internship must be set by December 13. Place of internship is approved with internship supervisor.
There are the following ways to find a place of internship:
1. Get assistance from Career Development Centre. Each year, the CDC forms a base of places for internship, which will be provided by our partners for students.
2. Your internship supervisor can help to find a place of internship.
3. Internship can be done in the laboratories and research centers of the Higher School of Economics, in this case you need to contact the heads of the respective structural units.
4. If you are employed, and the field of the work meets the goals and objectives of the internship, you can do the internship at your work. In this case, it is necessary to provide a contract with the organization for internship.
5. Find a place of internship yourself.
Providing a signed internship agreement to internship supervisor and uploading it to LMS - not later than December 25.
For students of intake 2021
1. At the beginning of the internship, together with the internship supervisor, students draw up an individual assignment for the internship and the schedule of internship. Depending on the place of internship, these documents can be provided both in Russian and English. They are filled in during the internship and signed by internship supervisors from the HSE and the company. After the internship is completed, an individual task and a internship schedule are presented together with the internship report on the day of defence. In the absence of these documents or the absence of the necessary signatures in them, the student will be denied admission to the defense.
Individual task for the internship in English Individual internship assignment
Individual task for the internship in Russian Индивидуальное задание
Filled in example of individual task for the internship Individual internship assignment-Example
2. Before December 25, it is necessary to sign an agreement. If the student is doing internships through the Career Development Centre or at the HSE structural unit, no agreement is required. The argeement number must be registered at the by internship supervisor
Agreement template in Russian: Договор разовый (РУС) СПб ШЭМ
Agreement template in English: Agreement for Practical Training of Students
Offer Letter - Acceptance Letter
Письмо оферта - акцепт разовый (РУС) СПб ШЭМ
3. After the end of the internship, internship supervisor from company writes a review. The review can be provided in both Russian and English.
Review in English: Internship Regulations, Appendix B
Review in Russian Отзыв
4. During the internship, students write a report. The report must be conducted in English. A sample report structure and the title page are given in Internship Regulations, Appendix A.
The report is submitted in electronic form before the defence of the internship for verification by the dissertation supervisor and the supervisor of the internship.
Internship defence is conduted with the board during exam period of the 3rd module. To the defense student brings a printed report, completed and signed individual assignment and schedule of the internship, review from the company.
Students who do not complete the internship program without valid reason or who have received an unsatisfactory grade are considered to have academic failure.
Q: I am already employed, can I do internship in the workplace?
A: Yes, you can, if your work meets the goals and objectives of the internship.
Q: Is it possible to provide my employment contract as an internship contract?
A: No, because the employment contract does not certify that you are doing the internship at the workplace. In this case, an individual agreement for internship is needed.
Q: How do I know if an agreement has been made between the organization where I am going to have internship and the HSE?
A: You can look at the list of current agreements on the website of the Career Development Centre or check this information in the study office.
Term Paper guidelines are described in the Practical Training Programme: Internship Programme MiM&A 2022 (Appendix A).
Term paper topics (i.e term paper titles) are selected using the LMS system through the module "Thesis/Term paper topics" ("Couse themes").
You can apply for a topic from those proposed by faculty members or propose your own topic. Please note that it is important to contact the supervisor and discuss the final topic.
The request for changing the term paper topic/title is submitted through the LMS system using the module "Thesis/Term paper topics" ("Couse themes").
|UNTIL NOVEMBER 20||no later than one calendar month before the deadline for submission of the final version of the course work||UNTIL JUNE 1||7 working days before the defence|
|To select a topic of Term paper and have it approved by the supervisor via LMS||Opportunity to change the supervisor and change/refine the topic of Term paper (in LMS, per special request)||The provision of final version of Term paper to the supervisor||Uploading Term paper to LMS|
The level of originality of your paper cannot be lower 80%!