Strategic management. Art management strategies in the context of multicultural communities
- The main aim is to provide an opportunity for students to get acquainted with the history and functioning of the forming museum and private collections.
- The skills of art management.
- Understanding of arts management history and mechanism
- Deep understanding of major museum mechanism of functioning.
- The role of museums in general infrastructure of contemporary art.The world’s leading museums (Tate, Victoria and Albert, Metropolitan, MMOMA, Guggenheim, Centre Pompidou, Stedelijk). Assignment for students: get acquainted with museum websites. Discussion.
- Funding systems for supporting artsfor example, Louis Vuitton, Frame Contemporary art Finland, Danish Arts Foundation, Aksenov art foundation, V-A-C
- An overview and typology of the world art eventsBiennales, festivals (the Venice Biennale and “biennale movement” around the world, Documenta, Manifesta, Performa). Participation of the State Hermitage in the world’s largest art events. Manifesta at the State Hermitage. The Hermitage at the Venice Biennale.
- The emergence of the profession of curator in the 1960s.The role of the curator in contemporary art. Reading of a curator’s text.
- Art fairs and auctions (Armory Show, Art Basel, FIAC, Freeze / Sotheby's, Christie’s, Phillips de Pury).The first Sotheby's auction in the USSR.
- The modern Hermitage. Meetings with the heads of museum departments and members of museum staffMarketing, fundraising, endowment, outdoor advertising, special events. Cross-museum communications, PR, Hermitage television, press service, volunteer movement. New museum directions: the Contemporary Art Department. Innovative technical equipment projects: security systems, fire alarm, exhibit marking, air conditioning, quadcopters. The Hermitage website
- Russian contemporary art scene and cultural politics
- Interim assessment (2 module)0.4 * Class activities + 0.4 * Project Assessment + 0.2 * Written task