'Being an International Ambassador Provides an Opportunity for Skills Acquisition'
The international ambassador project is one of the leading projects by the International Office of HSE University — St. Petersburg. This project helps create awareness about the University in various countries and hometowns. Ibuowo Grace, a fourth-year student of the BA Programme 'Political Science and World Politics' who is serving her second year as the international student ambassador of HSE University, told us about her experience.
– Tell us about the programme you are studying at?
– My programme is about politics and how it works globally from different aspects, such as the economic and social ones, as well as about different theories that explain it. The programme is interesting to me because it covers almost all facets of politics: the geographical formation of states, political regimes, international relations and their impact on the development of countries, the impact of ethnicity and identity on the state-building and, finally, historical events and theories for a better understanding of political science theory.
– What projects do you take part in at the university?
– Currently, I am participating in the HSE University – St. Petersburg TikTok project. In this project, we use new interesting and innovative methods of video production to show what HSE University is all about and how fun it is to be a part of the HSE family. This project also aims to reach out to international students who would like to be a part of the HSE community.
– How did you become a part of the student ambassador project?
– It was a competitive process. To be considered for this role, you need to provide a CV, a recommendation from an academic supervisor of the programme, and a motivation letter. I sent all the required documents and was among the few qualified students. It was an educational and fun-filled experience for me, so I would not say it was difficult or tedious. As an ambassador, I have a duty of creating awareness about the university in my country while helping other international students navigate through the process of admission with minimal or no trouble at all.
– How does being a student ambassador influence your future career perspective?
– It has influenced me by drawing attention to my abilities and potential, intensity to understand my work. I have acquired advanced and up-to-date skills of applying to an organization, polished my communication, management and leadership skills. I have also become more committed to work. It is a lifelong learning experience for me, which is very vital for my future career.