Practical training is a form of educational activity during studies under a given degree programme, with learners completing certain types of tasks, related to their future professional activities and aimed at building, consolidating, and developing practical skills and competencies specific to the respective degree programme. The goals and objectives of practical training shall be attained through the implementation of PTEs. The implementation of practical training for HSE students is provided in the module of the study plan of the educational programme, that is titled "Internship".
The procedure for organizing and conducting PTEs of HSE students is regulated by Regulations on Practical Training of Students under Core Bachelor’s, Specialist and Master’s Programmes at HSE University
You can also read about the organization of internship at the HSE in the academic handbook at the link
The conditions and features of the implementation of PTEs provided by the curriculum of the study plan of the educational programme "Finance" are described in Practical Training Programme_MiF (for intake 2021).
You can learn more about the preparation of Master's dissertation in the document "Guidelines for Master Dissertation" on the page "Final State Certification".
Practical training elements (PTEs):
Number of ECTS credits and academic hours
Period of realization
5 (190 ac.h.)
During an academic year, final version upload in June
3 (114 ac.h.)
Elective, not later than module 3 of year 2
Work experience internship
12 (456 ac.h.)
Module 3 (individual cases should be coordinated in advance)
16 (722 ac.h.)
During an academic year, defence in June
Final version upload in May
*The mandatory project activity is 3 ECTS credits. Within the framework of these credits, it is possible to take any number of projects. During "Barcamp", which will take place at Module 4 of year 1, special projects for our programme will be presented. If you take only one project that weighs more credits than required, it will be considered your mandatory project. All additional projects will be counted as optional (on top of the main programme of 120 ECTS).
Work experience internship
The program provides one work experience internship in the 3rd module of the 2nd year of study.
According to the study plan, the duration of the internship is 456 hours of which 2 hours are in-class.
Duration of internship: 10 January - 12 March (for intake 2020, academic year 2021-2022)
Internship supervisor from HSE
Place of internship
You need to submit a request for internship via LMS apporximately by December 13.
There are the following ways to find a place of internship:
1. Get assistance from Career Development Centre. Each year, the CDC forms a base of places for internship, which will be provided by our partners for students.
2. Your internship supervisor can help to find a place of internship.
3. Internship can be completed in the laboratories and research centers of the Higher School of Economics, in this case you need to contact the heads of the respective structural units.
4. If you are employed, and the field of work meets the goals and objectives of the internship, you can do the internship at your work. In this case, it is necessary to provide a contract with the organization for internship
5. Find a place of internship yourself. In this case, you will need to make a contract with the organization with the help of the study office before December 25.
If the organisation refuses to make a contract, HSE University can offer an exchange of an official offer letter and an offer of acceptance.
1. Before the beginning of the internship, together with the internship supervisor, students draw up an individual assignment for the internship and the schedule of internship. Depending on the place of internship, these documents can be executed in both Russian and English. They are filled in during the internship and signed by internship supervisors from the HSE and the company. After the internship is completed, an individual task and a internship schedule are presented together with the internship report on the day of defence. In the absence of these documents or the absence of the necessary signatures in them, the student will be denied admission to the defense.
Individual task for the internship in English Individual internship assignment
Individual task for the internship in Russian Индивидуальное задание
Schedule of the internship in English Intermship schedule
Schedule of the internship in Russian График прохождения практики
2. Before the beginnig of the internship, it is necessary to sign an agreement. If the student is doing internships through the Career Development Centre or at the HSE structural unit, no agreement is required. In other cases the argeement must be finalized and verified via the help of internship supervisor.
Agreement template in Russian Internship agreement (ru)
Agreement template in English Internship agreement (en)
Sample offer and acceptance letters - in case a company declines to sign standart agreement.
3. After the end of the internship, internship supervisor from company writes a review. The review can be provided in both Russian and English.
4. During the internship, students write a report. The report must be done in English. A sample report and review structures are presented in internship guidelines.
The report is submitted in electronic form 2 weeks before the defence of the internship for verification by the supervisor of the internship. Students bring a printed report to the defence.
Internship defence is conducted with the board during exam period of the 3rd module. To the defense student brings a printed report, completed and signed individual assignment and schedule of the internship, review from the company.
Students who do not complete the internship program without valid reason or who have received an unsatisfactory grade are considered to have academic failure.
Q: I am already employed, can I do internship in the workplace?
A: Yes, you can, if your work meets the goals and objectives of the internship.
Q: Is it possible to provide my employment contract as an internship contract?
A: No, because the employment contract does not certify that you are doing the internship at the workplace. In this case, an individual agreement for internship is needed.
Q: How do I know if an agreement has been made between the organization where I am going to have internship and the HSE?
A: You can look at the list of current agreements on the website of the Career Development Centre or check this information in the study office.
Q: Is it possible to complete the internship at other period of time?
A: Yes, the internship can be completed earlier, while the date for defence remains unchanged. There must be a valid reason for delaying internship, which can be discussed with the academic supervisor and at the study office. In this case, the internship agreement must be signed no later than 2 weeks before internship beginning. You will also need to fill in an application for individual terms of practice. Internship request
Term paper topics (i.e term paper titles) are selected using the LMS system through the module "Thesis/Term paper topics" ("Couse themes"): Instructions on selection of term paper and thesis topics
You can apply for a topic from those proposed by faculty members or propose your own topic. Please note that it is important to contact the supervisor and discuss the final topic.
The request for changing the term paper topic/title is submitted through the LMS system using the module "Thesis/Term paper topics" ("Couse themes").
|UNTIL NOVEMBER 20||UNTIL APRIL 29||UNTIL JUNE 1||14 JUNE|
|To approve a supervisor and title of Term paper||Opportunity to change a supervisor and title of Term paper (in LMS)||The provision of final version of Term paper to a supervisor||Uploading a Term paper to LMS (until 23:59)|
Please note that the level of originality of your paper cannot be lower 80%!