Financial Accounting and Financial Analysis
- The aim of the course is to provide students with the basic theoretical knowledge and practical skills in financial accounting, reporting and analysis in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Use strong analytical skills and apply them to solve practical problems.
- Have an idea about the place and the role of financial accounting in the system of management of the economic entity.
- Understand the conceptual framework of accounting and the purpose, structure and content of the financial reporting in the modern market economy.
- Understand the essence of accounting terms and to use them properly.
- Demonstrate an innovative, open and ethical mindset.
- Have basic practical skills in financial reporting and interpreting accounting information under International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Topic 1. Financial statements and Business Decisions.
- Topic 2. Investing and Financing Decisions and the Accounting System.
- Topic 3. Operating Decisions and the Accounting System.
- Topic 4. Adjustments, Financial Statements, and the Quality of Earnings.
- Topic 5. Communicating and Interpreting Accounting Information.
- Topic 6. Reporting and Interpreting Sales Revenue, Receivables, and Cash.
- Topic 7. Reporting and Interpreting Cost of Goods Sold and Inventory.
- Topic 8. Reporting and Interpreting Property, Plant, and Equipment; Intangibles.
- Topic 9. Reporting and Interpreting Liabilities.
- Topic 10. Reporting and Interpreting Owners’ Equity.
- Topic 11. Statement of Cash Flows.
- In-class activitiesIndividual, online in LMS, open book
- Midterm testIndividual, online in LMS, open book
- Team projectIn small groups, online in LMS, open book
- Final examThe exam will be synchronously proctored via the «Examus» proctoring system (https://hse.student.examus.net). Examination Procedure with the Use of the Examus Service ∙ Install the Yandex.Browser or the Google Chrome web browser (https://www.google.com/chrome/); ∙ Using the Yandex.Browser or Google Chrome web browser, go to the following page: ∙ https://hse.student.examus.net and click on blue button ‘Сессия НИУ ВШЭ’, log in and have your e-mail account verified; ∙ On the examination day, at the appointed time (or 10 minutes before it), go to https://hse.student.examus.net and click on the name of the test you wish to take; ∙ Take a photo of your identification document and send it to the Proctor for verification; ∙ You can now start the exam; ∙ Upon the completion of the exam click on ‘End the Exam’ button; ∙ Close the Examus tab. and click on, log in and have your e-mail account verified; It is necessary to login 15 minutes before the exam is due to begin. Every student can test the «Examus» system here: https://student.examus.net/?sessionId=24799&serverOrigin=https://stage.examus.net/. Some basic information on proctoring: https://spb.hse.ru/mirror/pubs/share/367863268.pdf. Student’s computer should meet the following requirements: https://spb.hse.ru/mirror/pubs/share/367863268.pdf). To participate in the exam, student is obliged to: upload a profile photo, turn camera and microphone on, confirm the identity. During the exam it is forbidden to: communicate (in social networks, with people in the room), use written notes (in a notebook or on printed sheets), open pages in the Internet, use a mobile phone or other electronic devices other than a calculator for calculations. It is also forbidden to make phone calls or receive calls and perform other forms of communication. During the exam it is allowed to use a calculator that only has this function. If the internet communication interruption is up to 5 minutes, it will be regarded as a brief connection break. If the internet communication interruption is 5 minutes or more, it will be regarded as a longer connection break and will entail the exam cessation. The retake procedure is identical to the exam procedure.
- 2021/2022 4th module0.4 * Final exam + 0.1 * In-class activities + 0.2 * Midterm test + 0.3 * Team project
- Financial accounting, Libby, R., 2016
- Weygandt, J. J., Kieso, D. E., & Kimmel, P. D. (2017). Financial Accounting (Vol. Tenth edition). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1639274
- BPP Learning Media. (2017). Foundations in Accountancy : F3/FFA Financial Accounting: Interactive Text: for Exams From 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2018 (Vol. Sixth edition). London: BPP Learning Media. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=nlebk&AN=1522342