Research Seminar “Youth”
- Know key youth studies concepts
- Understand and discuss topics related to youth cultures, scenes, solidarity
- Improve their skills in developing research design in the framework of youth studies
- Apply concepts and theories to solve specific research problems; use concepts and principles in new research contexts
- Analyze academic literature in a selected research field. Evaluate the logic and argumentation of academic texts.
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge and critical understanding of fundamentals of qualitative sociological research of youth
- Topic 1: Introduction in Youth Studies (4 seminars)
- Topic 2: Design of qualitative research
- Topic 3: Doing literature review
- Topic 4: Qualitative research methodology
- Topic 5 Planning and conducting qualitative field research
- Homework 1Presentation of chapters of a book or a series of articles dedicated to a separate area of youth studies.
- Homework 2Presentation of chapters of a book or a series of articles dedicated to a design of qualitative research and literature reviewing.
- Homework 3Presentation of chapters of a book or a series of articles dedicated to еру qualitative research methodology.
- ExamExam in the form of a group research project. The project is implemented by a group of 2-4 students. The object of the research can be a youth community, subculture. group of young people. Students must collect and transcribe at least 4 interviews, each lasting at least 30 minutes, or the total duration of all interviews should not be less than 120 minutes. Anonymized interview transcripts are presented to faculty members. Students must present the results of the project at the exam in the form of an oral presentation. The presentation should include: relevance, significance, research problem, research question, subject, purpose statement, methods, theoretical approaches, empirical part, conclusions. The presentation is held in English.
- 2021/2022 4th moduleIn-class-participation * 0.4 + Homework 2 * 0.1 + Homework 3 * 0.1 + Homework 1 * 0.1 + Exam * 0.3
- 2022/2023 4th module0.4 * In-class-participation + 0.1 * Homework 1 + 0.1 * Homework 3 + 0.3 * Exam + 0.1 * Homework 2
- 2023/2024 3rd module-
- Hebdige, D. (2002). Subculture : The Meaning of Style: Vol. Taylor & Francis e-Library ed. Taylor & Francis [CAM].
- Silverman, D. (DE-588)141743867, (DE-627)631177094, (DE-576)163079072, aut. (2010). Doing qualitative research a practical handbook David Silverman.
- Creswell, J. W. (1998). Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design : Choosing Among Five Traditions. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications Inc. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=63251
- McRobbie, A. (1991). Feminism and Youth Culture. Macmillan Education UK. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-349-21168-5