Research Seminar "Business Research Methods"
- Students should be able to apply the principles of effective literature review and understand its role and structural differences in different types of academic papers. Students should be able to apply Management theories as theoretical foundation of the research, understand the importance of research framework and theoretical foundation of the research as a basis of its contribution to the body of knowledge and demonstrate the ability to identify and access high quality research via citation management systems Students should be able to distinguish between different research methods and strategies and understand the rationale for their application Students should be able to choose appropriate sample defining techniques, data collection strategy, and data analysis methods. Students should be able to address validity and reliability issues in the collected data; organise and effective data collection process to gather high quality data for the analysis Students should be able to understand the concept of research ethics and possible consequences of fraud and plagiarism Students should be able to demonstrate effective delivery of their research presentations
- Understanding of the basic concepts of Management theories and the main components of research process
- The knowledge of the instruments and approaches to find high quality research papers on the chosen research topic and the ability to organise the articles in a systematic way paying attention to the level of maturity of a research field and article types.
- Being able to formulate correct research questions in accordance with the formulation criteria and the chosen method.
- Understanding of the main components of research motivation and their functions, knowing the limitations of the gap-spotting approach.
- Ability to apply AI instruments for literature search. Understanding the systematic role of theoretical foundation and a research framework in a research paper and its function in literature review, discussion, and conclusion sections.
- Justifying the research design based on the formulation of the research problem and research question(s). Telling the difference between propositions and hypotheses; constructs, concepts, variables; levels of research and units of analyses. Understanding Mixed methods research design.
- Understanding of data collection steps depending on the chosen method. Ability to address data collection and sampling issues as well as bias and validity issues. Knowledge of the main components of Method and Data, Results, Discussion and Conclusion sections for article format. Knowledge of the required structure for the consulting formats.
- Knowledge of the main principles of research ethics and the consequences of research misconduct. Telling the difference between types of research presentation. Ability to target presentation audience effectively when using the main channels of conveying the information. Understanding basic tools and approaches to giving and receiving feedback
- Topic 1. Introduction to Research in Management.
- Topic 2. Topic choice and literature sources. Research motivation and research questions
- Topic 1. Introduction to research in Management
- Topic 3. Theory and literature review
- Topic 4. Research design basics and components
- Topic 5. Method and Data, Results, Discussion and Conclusion
- Topic 6. Research results and research ethics. Delivering your research presentation
- Active participation
- Class assignments during the course
- Thesis First Draft presentation
- First draft text
- 2023/2024 3rd module0.15 * Class assignments during the course + 0.1 * Active participation + 0.2 * Thesis First Draft presentation + 0.3 * First draft text
- Effective presentations, Comfort, J., 2009
- Management research, Easterby-Smith, M., 2012
- Research Design. Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches, Creswell J.W., 2009
- Systematic approaches to a successful literature review, Booth, A., 2016
- The fundamentals of ethics, Shafer-Landau, R., 2012
- Handbook for international management research, , 2007
- The literature review : a step-by-step guide for students, Ridley, D., 2012