Historical Urban Studies
- To give an idea of the directions and approaches in contemporary research in Urban History.
- To develop intellectual skills to discuss and provide arguments for defending their point of view, formulate questions for general discussion and moderate it.
- To develop research skills, including the preparation of a collective research project proposal.
- Students would be able to perform professional activities, including research and development activities in the international environment
- Students will be able to analyze critically the literature they have read, use their knowledge in seminar discussions
- Students will master the conceptual framework of Urban history, methods and techniques of historical research and be able to use them in the preparation of collective research projects proposals
- What is urban history? Urban History as interdisciplinary field or research.
- ‘Urban machinery’: cities and technologies in historical perspective
- The challenge of Modernity. From Ideal City to World Metropolis
- City and Industry
- City and Trade
- City and Port
- City and its past. The problem of urban heritage
- The Growth of Cities in the Modern Era: Migration and Urban Change. Displaying History of Migration in the Museums
- Knowledge and Urbanization. The City as Space of Knowledge
- Historicizing Sustainable Urban Mobility: Transnational Perspective
- Cities and environment. Resources of the city. Urban metabolism as historical phenomenon
- Presentation of collective projects proposals. Reviews. General discussion
- Сities as the loci of scientific practice
- Growth and development of cities in the modern era: migration and urban change
- Historicizing sustainable urban mobility: transnational perspective
- What is the City? What is Urban History?
- ‘Urban Machinery’: Cities and Technologies in Historical Perspective
- Concluding seminar. Presentations of collective projects and discussion
- collective projects proposals
- Presentation of collective projects, preparing reviews, discussion
- Attendance +Participation (thoughtful contributions in the class)
- Moderation one of the seminars discussion (list of questions and discussion-leading)
- 2023/2024 2nd module0.4 * collective projects proposals + 0.3 * Presentation of collective projects, preparing reviews, discussion + 0.15 * Attendance +Participation (thoughtful contributions in the class) + 0.15 * Moderation one of the seminars discussion (list of questions and discussion-leading)
- What is Urban History?, Ewen, S., 2018
- World Bank. (2013). A National Framework for Sustainable Urban Transport Systems : Proposals for Improving Urban Transportation in Russian Cities. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsbas&AN=edsbas.7D9A6349
- Jooste, A. F., de Kock, I. H., & Musango, J. K. (2019). A Systematic Literature Review of Sustainable Urban Planning Challenges Associated with Developing Countries. South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, (3), 253. https://doi.org/10.7166/30-3-2247