Research Seminar "Data Analytics for Politics and Society"
- The aim is to make students able to read and critically discuss articles from the field of social, political studies and big data analysis, and conduct empirical research using different sources of data
- Applies mining tools to collect, filter, categorize and apply big data from social media for the specialized research
- Applies knowledge on the necessary theoretical, conceptual, methodological, empirical and ethical considerations to build own research.
- Applies datasets amd bases from secondary sources for conducting the specialized research
- Introduction to analytical sociology and political science
- Sources of (big data); quality of data
- Literature review: basic principles and search for the articles
- Operationalization of theoretical concepts and measurement
- Research design
- Particular examples from social and political science
- Seminar 1 (2 hours)
- Seminars 2 — 8 (14 hours)
- In-class assignmentsIn-class assignments grade will be calculated as an average score for all types of written activities during the seminars.
- Participation in class discussions
- Presentation of the individual projectPresentation of the individual project includes final presentation on the topic of student’s course work and should represent a solid presentation of research framework, literature review, data description, data analysis and main conclusions.
- Presentation of theoretical parts of the student thesis