Губайдуллина Софья Шамильевна
Руда Мена Дариус
- The main goal of this course is to introduce students to the basic steps of conducting an academic research
- As a subgoal the course aims at developing the skill of writing a literature review as one of the steps of any research process
- The students will look into several literature reviews and distinguish their structure, their elements and what kind of literature reviews may be found in political science and as well as in social sciences in general.
- The students will learn with several practical exercises how to download, use and administrate citation manager systems
- The students will learn the differences between subject and topic in the world of research by looking into several examples
- The students will learn what kind of research questions can be formulated and what kind of research problems there are.
- The students will learn to write their own literature reviews on their own research topics, using all the knowledge they have adquired on research, knowing how to quote and how to structure the text while properly linking concepts, ideas and theories related to their own research
- The students will learn what theory and hypotheses are in social sciences and how to work with them in their own research.
- The students will learn how to form a research design in social sciences, with all its elements and with all its parts, by looking into specific examples
- What is research: Introduction
- What is research: Research as a process
- What is research: Reading a research paper
- What is a literature review?
- What is a literature review: Reading a literature review
- What is plagiarism?
- Working in a library: what for and how?
- Citation manager: Using the Zotero Software
- Citation manager: Zotero workshop
- Topics and research questions
- Research questions and research problems
- Is there a place for a literature review?
- Theories and hypotheses
- Designing your research: how the number of cases affects the design of your paper?
- 1. In-class participation
- 2. Written Assignment: Team Literature ReviewA literature review is a written assignment on a topic proposed by the team themselves and approved by your DG instructor. Writing a paper on a chosen topic develops skills of written argumentation and critical thinking. A review has to include a clear statement of a question / thesis statement and of a broader research problem; be explicit as regard the structuring principle of your review and briefly describe avenues for further research in the concluding section of your review. Review structure: (1) Introduction which includes your question / thesis statement, broader research problem and the structuring principle of your text. (2) Body of the review which reviews the selected pieces of literature according to the selected structuring principle and in a way which allows your team to illuminate the question / thesis statement of your review. (3) Conclusion which sums up your review, provides an answer to your question or major arguments for your thesis statement, and elaborates on several avenues for further research.
- 3. Exam testThe test takes place in online format.
- Interim assessment (3 module)0.25 * 1. In-class participation + 0.4 * 2. Written Assignment: Team Literature Review + 0.35 * 3. Exam test