Preparing your enrolment and arrival to St Petersburg
Before Arrival Instructions
Confirm the Offer of Admission
Prepare all documents listed in STEP 4 and upload them to the Offer of Admission section in your personal account.
Legalize your academic credentials (degree/high school certificates/diplomas)
The specific legalization procedure will depend on the country where your diploma was issued. Please refer to this page for a full list of countries and relevant legalization requirements. Each country may have its own legalization terms and conditions.
Make your academic credentials (degree/high school certificates/diplomas) recognized in Russia
Once you have received the original of your degree/high school certificate and obtained its notarized translation into Russian (if applicable), please submit an application for the recognition of your academic credentials via your personal account on the HSE website. If you have any questions regarding recognition, please contact us at email@example.com.
IMPORTANT! Recognition procedure is mandatory for all foreign citizens applying to HSE and is offered free of charge. If you have a Russian high school/degree certificate issued by a Russian academic institution, you are still required to submit an application for recognition of academic credentials.
Apply for a Russian visa
If you have been admitted as a state-funded student (tuition waiver), your visa reference will be issued by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (MES), once HSE staff uploads all documents listed in STEP 4 to the MES information system. The list of visa reference numbers will be published in your personal account in the Visa section. Normally visa references should be available in early August.
If you have been admitted to HSE as a fee-paying student, please submit an application to obtain a visa invitation via your personal account (Visa section). More details are available in your personal account.
Please note that citizens of the following counties DO NOT NEED a student visa to study at Russian educational institutions: Azerbaijan, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Armenia, and Uzbekistan.
If you are a citizen of Belarus, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan or Ukraine, you may use your national (internal) passport when crossing the Russian border. If you are a citizen of any other country, you must obtain a travel passport to enter Russia.
Russian nationals arriving in Russia must also show an ID (Russian travel passport for Russian citizens residing abroad). To enrolin HSE, you must also have your national (internal) passport readily available, even if you are residing abroad. Please make sure to make your plans in advance, since it may take up to 2 months to issue a national passport in Russia (if you don’t have a permanent registration and only have a temporary one).
Dormitory places will be allocated via applicants’ personal accounts. You will get access to the Dormitory section in your personal account, once you’ve completed the Enrolment Consent and Recognition of Foreign Education and (or) Qualifications sections but no earlier than August 2020. Therefore, by the time you visit us to submit your documents starting from August 24, a place at the dormitory will have already been assigned to you.
Enrolment procedures for foreign applicants
Submitting documents for enrolment to HSE
To officially enrol in HSE and secure a place at an HSE dormitory, please visit us at the following address starting from August 24, 2020: room 216, 123 Naberezhnya Kanala Griboedova, St Petersburg.
Make sure you have the following documents with you:
- Graduate Application Form , Enrollment Consent Form and Personal Data Protection Form, signed, IN ORIGINAL.
- University Diploma with supplements indicating the subjects studied and marks (grades) received, duly legalized by apostille or consular legalization and its notary translation into Russian language (if the credentials are issued not in Russian) – all IN ORIGINAL.
- An official Medical Statement of Good Health with lungs X-Ray issued not earlier than March 2020 and its notarized translation into Russian language, if issued not in Russian – all IN ORIGINAL.
- A COPY of your travel passport (pages with Name, Photo and Citizenship) that you will use to enter Russia and the ORIGINAL of its notarized translation into Russian language, if issued not in Russian NB! Applicants bearing a valid Russian traveling passport must use this passport to enter Russia.
- A Copy of the signed Study Contract and a COPY of 1 semester installment payment receipt.
- 4 photos 3x4 cm + 2 photos 3x4 cm for the dormitory
The Enrollment Package in original should be delivered to the Admissions Office in person at the same day when you come to our office upon your arrival OR should be sent by express post delivery service.
Postal addresses of HSE University – St Petersburg International Admissions:
Room 216, 123 Naberezhnya Kanala Griboedova, St Petersburg, 190068
National Research University – Higher School of Economics in Saint Petersburg
Centre for International Education, Ms Viktoria Isaeva / Ms Marina Sannikova
Tel.: +7 812 6445911 ext. 61583
The Enrollment Order is normally issued during the first decade of September.
- The Scholarship Application Form, properly filled out and signed, with one color photo (3x4 cm, matted print) attached to the upper right corner of the form. Please download the Scholarship Application Form and follow the Guidelines on how to fill it out.
- COPY of your University Diploma with supplements indicating the subjects studied and marks (grades) received, duly legalized by apostille or consular legalization and COPY of its notary translation into Russian language (if the credentials are issued not in Russian). If you have not yet received your University Diploma at the time you are about to submit the FSAP, please send a COPY of official academic transcript with all grades and marks for all years of studies and a COPY of its notarized translation into Russian language (if the transcript is issued not in Russian).
- COPY of an official Medical Statement of Good Health with lungs X-Ray issued not earlier than March 2020 and a COPY of its notarized translation into the Russian language, if issued not in Russian.
- COPY of a HIV/AIDS certificate issued not earlier than February 2020, and a COPY of its notarized translation into Russian language, if issued not in Russian.
- COPY of your travel passport (pages with Name, Photo and Citizenship) and a COPY of its notarized translation into Russian language, if issued not in Russian.
The expiration date of this document shall be not earlier end of May 2022 at the least. If your passport expires before this date, please apply for a new passport ASAP.
Applicants bearing a valid Russian traveling passport must use this passport to enter Russia.
NB! Please bring the ORIGINALS of all above mentioned documents (except the Scholarship Application Form) with you to St Petersburg to complete your enrollment!
Except for abovementioned documents, applicants must have migration card issued upon entry to Russia (at the airport or another border checkpoint) or a copy of your Russian visa;
IMPORTANT! In the migration card, please make sure to underline Education («учеба») as your purpose of visit.
Preparing documents to obtain a migration registration
Please note that foreign students must register at their actual residence address:
- if you are staying at an HSE dormitory, please contact the dormitory staff to get registered via a local migration office;
- if you are staying at a rented apartment, please contact your landlord/landlady to get registered via a local migration office.
Please visit our office to for more details regarding the registration of students who are staying at rented apartments.
IMPORTANT! Citizens of the following countries may stay in the Russian Federation without registration for a fixed period of time only:
- citizens of Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Armenia – 30 days;
- citizens of Tajikistan – 15 days.