Nikita Samosudov: 'Relations between Russia and China Are Strengthening Every Day'
The Russian-Chinese Business Park (RCBP), a partner of the Higher School of Economics, does not terminate its business activities despite the pandemic and continues to provide internship for the HSE students. Nikita Samosudov, development director, 'Wholesale Construction Supplies North-West Company' (part of the RCBP), told the students of the programme 'Business and Politics in Modern Asia' how, in his opinion, the COVID-19 pandemic affected relations between Russia and China.
– Nikita Andreevich, could you please introduce yourself and tell us how your life is connected with China?
– Nowadays, I work in the Russian-Chinese Business Park as Director of International Trade. I graduated from the University of Languages and International Trade in Guangzhou City (China), my specialty is international economics and trade.
– From your point of few, what is the current state of Russia-China relations? Did the COVID-19 situation influence the business relations between two countries?
– Now the relations between Russia and China are strengthening every day. We expect an increase in the volume of investments from China into the Russian economy, a large flow of students and delegations. In connection with the deterioration of relations between the United States and China, Russia has received an excellent opportunity to strengthen cooperation with China. COVID-19 undoubtedly affected the economies of every country, but businesses quickly adjusted to the new conditions. For example, exhibitions have moved to the online format, goods are checked remotely, which in turn helps to save time and money for entrepreneurs.
– You lived and studied in China. What do you think was the main difference in mentality of two nations? Could you please give some advice or tips to students who want to study in China?
– The difference in mentality is very well traced in everyday and social life, in doing business and other spheres. Before traveling to China, I recommend that you thoroughly familiarize yourself with the culture of this country. If possible, attend Chinese language lessons. I recommend that students in China spend more time in the company of Chinese people, make friends with whom you can safely start your projects in the future. For the Chinese, informal relations, or 'guanxi' is the main metric when doing business. If students decide to continue working in the area related to China, this relationship will be very useful.
– What are the main purposes and aims of the Russian-Chinese Business Park?
– The main function of the Russian-Chinese Business Park is to improve relations between the two countries by creating a platform of trust. Which will promote products from Chinese manufacturers and suppliers to the Russian market, and search for Chinese Counterparties and Investors to help with production in Russia, and similar types of activities.
– Which activities is the Russian-Chinese Business Park focused on?
– Basically, it is the reception of business delegations from China.
– What can be the prospects for cooperation between the HSE and Russia-China Business Park?
– The goal of cooperation is to train specialists for the further implementation of international projects.
– What are the prospects for the development of business between Russia and China?
– In addition to large government projects, there is great potential for strengthening interaction between small and medium-sized businesses. More and more Chinese companies try to enter the Russian market on their own, while food manufacturers from Russia are more likely to think about exporting to China.
On December 11, at 18:00, Nikita Samosudov together with the Chinese doctor Li Peng, will make presentations on "Fundamentals of Traditional Chinese Medicine" at the weekly meetings of the HSE Chinese Club. Registration and participation in the meeting are possible at the link: https://hsechineseclub.timepad.ru/event/1501850/