- • Learn the historiography in the field of social history, study the most important works in the field; • Be able to work with interdisciplinary texts in social history and historical sociology, work with the historical context in their own research; • Gain and develop the skills of critical thinking and analysis of the historical research from different disciplinary positions.
- Capable to conduct academic discussions in English, evaluate the methods of historical research critically
- Students gain skills of information literacy, as well as of analysis of historical and sociological research in English. Students search for additional information considering the topic of their choice while working on the essays.
- Students gain skills of individual research in the field of social history
- Students gain skills of academic writing and public discussion in English, using professional terminology
- Students gain skills necessary for analyzing major debates in social history. Students learn about the actual research fields, get to know high rated academic journals in social history and historical sociology.
- Introduction. What is history and Social History in particular
- Social history of medieval Europe: social divisions and collective mentalities.
- Early Modern states and the “Old Regime”
- The birth of Capitalism
- Great geographical discoveries and Colonial Empires
- History of religion in Modern Europe: churches, schisms, heresies, Reformation and secularization.
- The age of revolutions in Europe (1789 – 1849)
- Industrialization, urbanization and social changes in 19th century
- Nationalism and national liberation movements in 19th century. Empires and national states.
- World Wars and the Modern system of International relations. Socialist and Fascist revolutions and regimes
- Social groups, classes and social mobility in Modern History
- Education, high and mass culture, recreation and leisure in Modern History
- Gender History. Development of gender categories. Patriarchy and Feminism in History.
- Social History of Family and Childhood and Age in Europe, Russia and America.
- William A. Pelz. (2016). A People’s History of Modern Europe. Pluto Press.
- Pomeroy, S. B. (2013). Pythagorean Women : Their History and Writings. Johns Hopkins University Press.
- The urban social history of the Middle East, 1750 - 1950 / ed. by Peter Sluglett. (2008). Syracuse Univ. Press.
- Thompson, W. (2011). Ideologies in the Age of Extremes : Liberalism, Conservatism, Communism, Fascism 1914-1991. Pluto Press.