Competition for Establishing New International Laboratories at HSE Saint Petersburg
HSE Saint Petesrburg is inviting proposals for setting up laboratories in the fields of digital business research and at the intersection of cognitive sciences and social informatics. Projects selected in the framework of the competition will be granted financing for the period of 2019-2022. The proposals have to be submitted by April 15, 2019. Read Q&A to learn more about this competition.
Digital business research, as well as the interdisciplinary field at the intersection of cognitive sciences and social informatics are considered as breakthrough fields of research. Therefore, the competition aims at:
- establishing and developing relevant research areas, as well as world-class research schools at HSE University – St Petersburg;
- facilitating the work of existing research teams and supporting the new ones;
- engaging early career researchers in international research projects and advancing their academic culture at the initial career stage.
The competition is open to research teams whose scientific activity is supervised by a foreign researcher and run by a Russian researcher. These researchers are eligible to participate only in one project submitted for the competition.
Each research team should have at least two people with such degrees as Doctor of Sciences or Candidate of Sciences or PhD who have been working at HSE University – St Petersburg full-time, as well as at least three postgraduate students of the university.
A research team has to prepare its proposals in accordance with the samples given in the Regulations on the Project Competition for Opening International Laboratories for the Period from September 01, 2019 to December 31, 2022 at the HSE University Campus in St Petersburg:
- Registration form;
- List of submitted documents;
- Project factsheet;
- Conceptual framework of an international laboratory, including anticipated contribution to the reputation of the university and personnel policy;
- Profile of the foreign researcher of the laboratory;
- Profile the head of the laboratory;
- Description of scientific research;
- Key performance indicators;
- Research plan;
- Cost estimate.
Proposals are supposed to be prepared in the Russian language only.
Each project will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Publication activity and quality of publications;
- Experience of a leading researcher in management of a research team;
- Relevance of the research;
- Achievability of results in accordance with proposed terms and methods;
- Compliance of requested funding with the objectives of research, quality of a cost estimate;
- Competences of the research team;
- Contribution of the international laboratory to the reputation of HSE University – St Petersburg.
The winning proposals will be financed during the period of 2019-2022 with total financing of up to 31.5 million rubles. Financial support covers such expenses as remuneration for researchers, acquisition of research equipment and software, research events (summer schools, conferences), mobility programmes, etc.
The time schedule of the competition is given as follows:
March 15, 2019 – Call for proposals opens
March 21, 2019 – Tutorial workshop on competition procedures
April 15, 2019 – Call for proposals closes
April 21, 2019 – June 1, 2019 – Expert assessment of the applications
June 3, 2019 – Announcement of competition results
June 15, 2019 – Approval of the projects and inclusion them into the HSE R&D Plan for 2019
June 2019 – Approval of establishment of international laboratories by the HSE Academic Council