Society and Health in Historical Perspective
- Students will understand the fundamental questions and methods of the history of medicine.
- Students will develop critical skills of assessing medicine’s complex role in contemporary society.
- Discuss academic literature during a seminar and participate in a group discussion in English
- Create and deliver a persuasive presentation based on required readings and additional literature
- Analyze and compare the views of different authors on the same subject
- Medical knowledge and practice from antiquity to the early 20th century
- Medical knowledge and practice in the 20th and 21st centuries
- Participation in seminars
- Take-home written examinationA student chooses one question out of three and produces a written answer (1-2 pages long). Failure to produce an essay that is at least 0,5 page long will result in an additional 1 point penalty. Failure to submit the essay by the agreed-upon deadline will result in an additional 1 point penalty for every day the essay is late.
- A group presentation at the final colloquiumUsually, the presentation would be graded as a group project for which one grade is issued to all the participants. Time limit for the presentation is set at 20 minutes. Failure to observe the agreed-upon time limit will result in a 1 point penalty.
- 2023/2024 2nd module0.3 * A group presentation at the final colloquium + 0.3 * Participation in seminars + 0.4 * Take-home written examination
- A global history of medicine, , 2018
- Bynum, W. F. (2008). The History of Medicine: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: OUP Oxford. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=363643
- Porter, R. (2001). Bodies Politic : Disease, Death and Doctors in Britain, 1650-1900. London: Reaktion Books. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=440604
- Amelia Bonea, Melissa Dickson, Sally Shuttleworth, & Jennifer Wallis. (2019). Anxious Times : Medicine and Modernity in Nineteenth-Century Britain. University of Pittsburgh Press.
- An introduction to the social history of medicine: Europe since 1500, Waddington, K., 2011
- Ancient medicine, Nutton, V., 2013
- Barkan, S. E. (2017). Health, Illness, and Society : An Introduction to Medical Sociology. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Faye Getz. (1998). Medicine in the English Middle Ages. Princeton University Press.
- Laura M. Zucconi. (2019). Ancient Medicine : From Mesopotamia to Rome. Eerdmans.
- Wear, A. (2000). Knowledge and Practice in English Medicine, 1550–1680. Cambridge University Press.
- История и философия медицины : научные революции XVII - XIX веков, Степин, В. С., 2017