Immigration laws and registration policies of Russian Federation
The legal status of the foreign citizens entering and staying in Russia is stipulated by the following laws:
- Federal Law dated 25.07.2002 N115-FZ «On the legal status of foreign citizens in Russian Federation»
- Federal Law dated 18.07.2006 N109-FZ «On the migration control of foreign citizens and stateless persons in Russian Federation»
- other federal and regional laws, bylaws, administrative guidelines of the Federal Immigration Service etc.
It is a shared responsibility of both foreign citizens and their host parties to secure compliance with the federal immigration laws.
Attention! According to the new Federal Law dated 27.06.2018 N163-FZ all international visitors are subject to registration with the Federal Immigration Office (FIS) strictly under the actual address of their stay in Russia. This provision results in the following updates in the FIS Registration Policy towards international visitors of HSE St. Petersburg:
Before you check-in to a private flat, sign a Tenancy Contract and pay the rental fee, make sure that your landlord agrees to perform your FIS Registration and that your landlord is authorized to do so. Carefully read the FIS Registration Policy for HSE Student with Private Housing, check out the required documents, terms and procedures and discuss it with your landlord.
Important to know
- Each time you plan to enter Russia, inform your study office and Visa and Immigration Support Office (VISO) of your arrival in advance.
- Each time you stay in a hostel, hotel or hospital (even for 1 day, even within Saint Petersburg), your previous FIS Registration becomes void, and you need to apply for a new FIS Registration.
- Each time you leave and re-enter the Russian Federation, your previous FIS Registration becomes void, and you have to apply for a new FIS Registration.
- At the border control when entering Russia double check that your personal data is indicated correctly in the Migration Card: name, date stamp, the purpose of visit («study» for students).
- Keep your Migration Card, your FIS Registration and your passport safe. It will take quite a lot of time and money to recover the documents if lost. In case of loss please refer to the «Documents lost» section.
- International Office does not provide copy-shop services. Please make sure you have all required copies with you when applying to International Office for registration or visa extension. Use the HSE public print system or print centres in the city!
- Each time you obtain a new FIS registration or change the place of residence, please inform the Visa and Immigration Support Office (VISO) about this by sending an email and a copy of your new FIS registration to email@example.com. This would greatly help us to keep track of your registration and to make sure you avoid any breaches of the law! VISO contacts are listed below.
- International students with Permanent Residence Permit (PRP) obtained in Saint-Petersburg must reside and register at the address that is indicated in their PRP and thus cannot be accommodated and registered in the HSE student dormitory!
If any of your critical documents (passport, migration card, visa, FIS Registration slip) got lost or stolen:
- Immediately report the issue to your local Police department or to a Police department near to the area where you think your documents were lost or stolen
- Receive a Police claim confirming the loss or theft of a particular document
- Immediately contact the Visa and Immigration Support Office (VISO) and report the issue
Please note: failure to immediately report to the Police the loss/theft of any of these documents is a breach of the migration law that may result in a fine and/or deportation and a re-entry ban.