Registration and Extension Policy for HSE Student Dormitory Residents
What is a registration?
This is a mandatory process in which the migration office of the Ministry of Internal Affairs draws up temporary registration to a foreign citizen at the actual address of stay. MIA Registration is renewable — each time you leave Russia, move to another place, you need to get a new registration. For registration, apply strictly no later than three days from the date of arrival in the HSE student dormitory. Registration is made out for free and looks like a paper slip or electronic form.
What is a permitted period of stay?
This is the period during which foreign citizens are allowed to legally stay in Russia. For international students entering Russia for the first time, the period usually does not exceed 90 days from entry date. For visa-free students, this period is displayed in the Migration Card, for visa students – in study visa. The extension of the permitted stay appears in the extension of a visa or migration card with subsequent registration renewal. Those procedures are provided by Russian MIA migration office.
- Every time you leave Russia, move to another place and receive a new registration, be sure to notify firstname.lastname@example.org and the dormitory administration about the circumstances of the departure;
- While crossing the border, make sure to receive a migration card with «education» purpose of visit — you will not be able to live in a dormitory and study with a different purpose of entry;
- MIA Registration is renewable — each time you leave Russia, move to another place of stay, get a new registration slip in a hotel/hostel/hospital, your previous MIA registration is terminated, and you must renew it within 3 days by contacting the VISO and submitting the documents;
If you do not renew your registration in time when it is necessary — you may be subject to a fine, deportation from Russia or ban on entry for up to 3 years;
The address displayed in your registration slip must match the actual address of your living in Russia.
- The most essential — always keep an eye on the expiration dates in your migration documents. Visa-free students must submit the full package of documents to the Visa and Immigration Support office at least 30 days prior to migration card or registration expiration date. A visa students must submit the full package of documents at least 45 days prior to current visa expiration date;
- Make sure to get all mandatory procedures done (more details here) before applying for a visa / migration card extension — your documents will not be accepted without the procedures;
- It is necessary to make all copies in advance and bring a complete set of documents — a set with missing documents will not be accepted;
- Do not take any trips around Russia or abroad until you receive prolonged documents;
Missing the deadline on submitting documents means that you will have to leave Russia within the validity terms in your current visa / migration card / registration.
I am a visa student — how do I get registration and extend my visa?
I am a visa-free student — how do I get registration and extend my permitted period of stay?
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.