Entering the Russian Federation for studying in 2022-2023
Procedure of entering the country
Despite the current restrictions on entry, the management of the Higher School of Economics in Saint Petersburg has developed and approved an entry procedure for international students.
International students (including applicants, newcoming freshmen, non-degree and exchange students) entering the Russian Federation must:
1. Plan the visit to the Russian Federation.
International full-time applicants and admittes first year full-time students (freshmen 2022 intake) and international exchange and non-degree students are invited to arrive in Saint Petersburg starting from August 25, 2021 (dormitory check-in and registration cannot be provided before this date).
International students in 2-4 year of studies who already have their room in the dormitory can arrive any date.
2. After you receive your visa invitation, check carefully if the following details are correct:
- Place and date of birth
- Passport number and date of issue
- Place of visa issuance
- Purpose of entry (should be УЧЁБА — "study")
3. Purchase your ticket only after receiving the visa itself. Make sure your date of entry is whithin the period of stay indicated in the visa. After you buy the ticket, share the information about your planned date of entry with the university no later than 15 days before the date of entry into the Russian Federation.
International full-time applicants and admitted students in year 1 (freshmen) must submit this information in their online Personal Account, section "Arriving in Russia". See screenshot: Arrival ENG screenshot If something does not work, please report to email@example.com
International full-time students in years 2-4 and double degree programmes participants must send this information to the Study Support Office of their degree programme via email in the format as below.
International non-degree and exchange students must send this information to the International Student Mobility Office via firstname.lastname@example.org in the format as below.
Subject of email: entry of an international student into the Russian Federation
In the email, please provide:
- Full name in Latin letters as in the passport on which it is planned to enter the Russian Federation
- Your educational program at the Higher School of Economics — Saint Petersburg
- Date of birth in dd.mm.yyyy format
- Series and number of the document (passport), according to which it is planned to enter the Russian Federation
- Estimated date of entry into the Russian Federation (which is indicated on your ticket)
- Point of entry into the Russian Federation (name of the airport of arrival or land border crossing point)
- Series and number of the visa (only if you have a Russian study visa valid at the time of the planned entry into the Russian Federation)
4. When crossing the border of the Russian Federation, indicate the purpose of entry "Study" ("Учеба").
5. In case of difficulties when crossing the border of the Russian Federation, contact the hotline for international students by phone: +7 (981) 830 15 40.
6. On the day of entry into the Russian Federation, send by email to email@example.com the documents for migration registration in accordance with the instructions and make sure that confirmation is received within one working day. If confirmation has not come, urgently contact the Visa & Immigration Support Office.
7. After arriving in the Russian Federation, within 72 hours take a second PCR test for coronavirus. Testing for coronavirus is possible via insurance or at any private clinic. Both the insurance and the test in a private clinic are paid for by students at their own expense. The results of the test should be submitted to the administration of the dormitory (if you live in one of the HSE dormitories), as well as sent by email to your study office and to firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Come to the university to receive and sign documents on migration registration after receiving an invitation from the Visa & Immigration Support Office and only if there is a negative PCR test done after entering the Russian Federation
9. Start studying according to the instructions received from the study office.
In the conditions of self-isolation, migration registration this academic year will be carried out remotely. Read the full procedure for migration registration, and mind that this is the most important process, which is important to pay attention to immediately after crossing the border in order to avoid any fines, sanctions or even deportation for violation of migration laws.
- Do not enter for the purpose of entry other than "Study" (for example, for medical treatment, private visit etc)
- Do not attempt to transit through opened countries
- Do not try to illegally cross the border, hoping that you will be lucky
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.