198099 Saint Petersburg
17 Promyshlennaya Ulitsa, Room 107
190008 Saint Petersburg
16 Soyuza Pechatnikov Ulitsa
The Department of History was created in 2012. The overarching goal of the department is systematic development of the field of global, comparative, and transnational history as a potent tool of overcoming the limitations of national history canon, fostering interdisciplinary dialogue in the field of social sciences and humanities, and brining new public relevance to historical knowledge. The department mission includes the development of new type of historical undergraduate and graduate education in Russia and pioneering new research fields in Russian historiography in dialogue with the global historical profession.
Edited by: D. Moon, N. Breyfogle, A. Bekasova.
White Horse Press, 2021.
Borisova T. Y.
Journal of Modern European History. 2021. Vol. 22. No. 4.
In bk.: Law and the Christian Tradition in Modern Russia. ROUTLEDGE JOURNALS, TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD, 2021. Ch. 7.
Selin A. A., Байгушев С. В., Levin F. et al.
Working Papers of Humanities. WP. Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2020. No. 197.
The job involves:
· working under the direct supervision of Professor Ronald Suny (University of Michigan) and Alexander Semyonov (HSE St. Petersburg) and in connection with the international research project “Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism”
· research in subfields of comparative history of empire and nationalism, including history of national movements in the Russian Empire and cross-border regions, history of imperial ideologies in late imperial and early Soviet period, history of imperial governance of religious and ethnic diversity, history of subjecthood and citizenship in late imperial and early Soviet period, history of legal pluralism
· writing research papers for international peer-reviewed academic periodicals and contributing to collective volumes published by the research team
· teaching sections of research seminars for graduate school in history
· presentation of their research in academic conferences and seminar “Boundaries of History”
· participation in organization of academic events of the Center and the Department
- a Ph. D. from an international research university in the field of history;
- a strong background in theories of empire and nationalism, contemporary historiography of the history of the Russian Empire and Soviet Union, and archival based research;
- ability to work in a team,
- fluent English
- experience of working with GIS is desirable but not required.
The Center for Historical Research will offer access to its research resources, including the Richard Stites’ memorial library.
General conditions for Post-Doctoral Research positions can be found here . Appointments will be normally made for one year.
A CV, research statement and two letters of recommendation should be submitted directly via online application form by April 1, 2016. Please note that direct applications to the hiring laboratory may not be reviewed.
The HSE is a young, dynamic, fast-growing Russian research university providing unique research opportunities (http://hse.ru/en, https://spb.hse.ru/en/) .Apply now