VII International Research Conference "Usable Pasts"
Applications for participation in the VII International Scientific Conference “Usable Pasts” organized by the Department of History of the Higher School of Economics – St. Petersburg and the Student Research Society, are open by February 15, 2022.
The Department of History at Higher School of Economics in St. Petersburg together with Student Research Society welcomes young scholars, graduate and undergraduate students to participate in the VII International Research Conference “Usable Pasts” on April 15-16, 2022. The conference aims at creating the research platform to explore the dynamic field of history, including interdisciplinary research on the past from the perspective of heritage and memory studies, approaches in the field of global, comparative, and transnational history, research on regional and local history, and dialogue between history and cultural anthropology. The topics of the conference include both applications for methodological research and research devoted to particular topics.
Themes of the conference include (but are not limited to):
● Historical memory and historically informed discourses in politics, art, and science;
● Cultural history of politics: representation of power from the Antiquity to Contemporary history;
● Cultural, natural, and industrial heritage, including museums, media space, use of nature in historical narratives and memory;
● Interdisciplinary methods in history: environmental history and history of technology, cultural and intellectual history, urban history, social and economic history, historical geography, environmental and technological history;
● Anthropology and ethnography;
● History of empires, nationalism and colonialism;
● Global and regional history.
The conference is planned to be held in a mixed-format or completely online, depending on the epidemiological situation. To participate in the conference, fill the Google form and submit a paper proposal.
Application deadline is February 15, 2022.
Paper proposal should include:
● Research question and research problem
● Methods and sources
● Hypothesis and and expected results.
The maximum length of a proposal (including an abstract no more than 300 characters) is 4000 characters (with spaces). All submissions will be peer-reviewed. The reports will be published online after the conference. Working languages of the conference: English, Russian
Bachelor's Program “History”: https://spb.hse.ru/ba/hist/
Master’s Programme "Global and Regional History": https://spb.hse.ru/en/ma/grhistory/
Student Research Society of History Department: