VIII International Research Conference "Usable Pasts"
The Department of History of Higher School of Economics in St. Petersburg together with Student Research Society welcomes students of Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD Programmes to participate in the VIII International Research Conference “Usable Pasts” on April 13-14, 2023.The purpose of the conference is to organize a research platform for the exchange of experience and research results in the field of Humanities. In particular, this platform involves bringing together representatives of various disciplines who turn to historical methods and apply interdisciplinary approaches in their research.
The topics of the conference include both applications for methodological research and research devoted to particular cases.
Themes of the conference include (but are not limited to):
- Historical memory and historically informed discourses in politics, art, and science;
- Cultural history of politics: representation of power from the Antiquity to Contemporary history;
- Cultural, natural, and industrial heritage, including museums, media space, use of nature
in historical narratives and memory;
- Interdisciplinary methods in history: environmental history and history of technology,
cultural and intellectual history, urban history, social and economic history, historical geography, environmental and technological history;
- Anthropology and ethnography;
- History of empires, nationalism and colonialism;
- Global history, history of conjugations and transfers, regional history and scaling and shifting of local and global in research;
- The history of images: from the perception of the “Other” to visual interpretations;
- The history of human subjectivity from Renaissance to Modern times;
- The history of mass movements and mass politics of the 19th-21st centuries.
The conference is planned to be held in a hybrid format. To participate in the conference, fill the registration form and submit a paper proposal. Application deadline is March 11, 2023.
- Research question and research problem
- Methodology and sources
- Hypothesis and expected results
The volume of the paper proposal should not exceed 4000 characters (with spaces, including an abstract not exceed 300 characters). The submitted applications will undergo a blind review procedure.
According to the results of the conference, it is planned to publish an electronic collection of peer-reviewed articles (no earlier than 2024).
Working languages of the conference: English, Russian
Please note that the host is ready to partially compensate the costs of accommodation and travel to the participants of the conference on the basis of a competitive selection of applications received (a limited number of travel grants). When submitting your application, please indicate what expenses and to what extent you would like to be reimbursed. The receiving party reserves the right not to explain the reason for the refusal of the travel grant. Reimbursement of visa processing costs is not provided.
Address: Russia, Saint Petersburg, naberezhnaya Kanala Griboedova 123
Bachelor's Programme "History": https://spb.hse.ru/ba/hist/
Master’s Programme "Global and regional History": https://spb.hse.ru/ma/grhistory/
PhD Programme "History": https://spb.hse.ru/humart/history/graduate_school
Department of History: https://spb.hse.ru/en/humart/history/
Student Research Society of History Department: