History of Ukraine
- The course aims at familiarising the students with the historiography of history of Ukraine.
- Students will study the outline of the history of Ukraine.
- In particular they will explore the history of a concept of modern Ukraine and its main competitors.
- Students will be introduced to the history and current state of the historiography of the history of Ukraine.
- They will learn the outline of history of Ukraine in the early modern and modern period.
- They will get acquainted with a practical application of ideas of entangled history.
- Introduction. Does Ukraine have a history and what does it look like?What is “history” of “Ukraine”?; history of Ukraine vs. Ukrainian history; populist and statist narratives of Ukrainian history; state of art today: transnational approach towards Ukrainian history.
- Ukraine as part of the Commonwealth of two nations. Cossacks, wars, and faith.Ukraine as part of the Commonwealth of two nations; Union of Lublin; Union of Brest; who were the Cossacks; Khmelnytsky uprising; 1654 and its multiple meanings.
- From ashes to caviar: Ukraine enters the Russian empire.The battle of Poltava, its causes, consequences, and memories; smooth integration of Cossacks into the Russian empire.
- Great Russian discovery of Little Russia.Multiple identities of the first half of the 19C; partitions of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and unification of Ukraine under Catherine II; Great Russian discovery of Little Russia.
- How many Russian nationalities were there in the Romanov empire?1800s Romantic interest in Ukraine; Saints Cyril and Methodius Brotherhood; how many Russian nationalities were there in the Russian empire; Valuev Circular.
- Ukrainian question in the Romanov empire.Ems edict; Ukrainian movement in the Russian empire, 1860s–1914; Ukrainian movement in Galicia.
- Revolutions and civil wars, 1917–1921.Ukraine during the Great War; three periods of Ukrainian revolutions; social history of the revolutions.
- Ukraine as a part of the affirmative action empires.Ukraine as part of the Soviet Union and Polish Republic; imagined national and non-national communities and non-communities: case studies of interwar Soviet and Polish Volhynia.
- Ukraine in the second half of the XX century. Conclusion.Ukraine in WW2; postwar; Chernobyl; independence.
- Interim assessment (3 module)0.3 * Exam + 0.2 * Presentation + 0.1 * Roundtable + 0.4 * Seminar discussions
- Georgiy Kasianov, & Philipp Ther. (2009). Laboratory of Transnational History : Ukraine and Recent Ukrainian Historiography. Central European University Press.
- Kate Brown. (2003). A Biography of No Place : From Ethnic Borderland to Soviet Heartland. Harvard University Press.
- Lindheim, R., Naukove tovarystvo imeny Shevchenka (Canada), & Luckyj, G. S. N. (1996). Towards an Intellectual History of Ukraine : An Anthology of Ukrainian Thought From 1710 to 1995. University of Toronto Press, Scholarly Publishing Division.
- Serhii Plokhy. (2001). The Cossacks and Religion in Early Modern Ukraine. OUP Oxford.
- Yekelchyk, S. (2006). The Body and National Myth: Motifs from the Ukrainian National Revival in the Nineteenth Century. Ab Imperio, 3, 23–54.
- Faith Hillis. (2013). Children of Rus’ : Right-Bank Ukraine and the Invention of a Russian Nation. Cornell University Press.
- Miller, A. I. (2003). The Ukrainian Question : The Russian Empire and Nationalism in the Nineteenth Century. Central European University Press.
- Plokhy, S. (2005). Unmaking Imperial Russia : Mykhailo Hrushevsky and the Writing of Ukrainian History. University of Toronto Press, Scholarly Publishing Division.
- Plokhy, S. (2006). The Origins of the Slavic Nations : Premodern Identities in Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus. Cambridge University Press.
- Plokhy, S. (2012). The Cossack Myth : History and Nationhood in the Age of Empires. Cambridge University Press.
- Plokhy, S. (2014). The Last Empire : The Final Days of the Soviet Union. Oneworld Publications.
- Очерк истории Украины в средние века и раннее новое время, Яковенко, Н.Н., 2012
- Последняя империя. Падение Советского Союза, Плохий, С., 2016