Global and Comparative History of Empires
- The aim of this course is to familiarize with current historical writings and reflections on empire. The ultimate thrust of the discussion is to scrutinize the epistemic revolution whereby the narrative of modern history previously written through the prism of national history has been recast to accommodate the fact of persistence of “imperial formations,” both in the sphere of international and global politics and in the area of management of diversity. The scope of the course mainly lies in the Modern history period, the geographic coverage is not universal, the main idea is to look at methodological debates and approaches. Global history has recently been constituted as a distinctive field of its own. Yet, in its thrust of overcoming the limitations of national history canon the global history has many resemblances with the field of imperial history. After all, empires were historic regimes that fostered connections and transfers in their often violent histories. At the same time, empires were habitually thought of by historians as autarkic and self-sufficient phenomena that allowed little space for cross-influence and entanglement. Following the optics of global history this course will be an attempt to explore the historic differences, comparisons and entanglements of empires in modern history.
- understanding the new analytical category of empire and how it is used to analyze historical experience of the 18-20 centuries;
- ability to apply new approaches that explore diversity and management of diversity in the imperial settings;
- - ability to situate the historical experience of a given historical empire in the comparative and global context; - improving the skills of scientific discussion and independent research
- Critical theories of nationalism and teleologies of modernity
- Contemporary approaches to empire. Comparative and global history.
- Sovereignty, citizenship, agency, diversity, and production of knowledge in imperial and colonial context. Imperial transformations.
- Interim assessment (2 module)0.5 * final paper + 0.3 * midterm written exam + 0.2 * seminar participation
- A History of Modern Political Thought: The Question of Interpretation / Browning, G — Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016. — 439 с. — ISBN 9780199682287. — URL: https://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199682287.001.0001/acprof-9780199682287?rskey=ditXGf&result=1 (дата обращения: 30.08.2019). — Текст : электронный.
- A State of Nations : Empire and Nation-making in the Age of Lenin and Stalin, edited by Ronald Grigor Suny, and Terry Martin, Oxford University Press, Incorporated, 2001. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=430519.
- Fisher, G. (2011-04-28). Between Empires: Arabs, Romans, and Sasanians in Late Antiquity. : Oxford University Press. Retrieved 24 Oct. 2019, from https://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199599271.001.0001/acprof-9780199599271.
- Lewis, Mark Edward, and Mark Edward LEWIS. China Between Empires : The Northern and Southern Dynasties, Harvard University Press, 2009. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=3300073.
- Ruthchild, Rochelle Goldberg. Equality and Revolution : Women's Rights in the Russian Empire, 1905-1917, University of Pittsburgh Press, 2010. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=2039271.
- Streusand, Douglas E.. Islamic Gunpowder Empires : Ottomans, Safavids, and Mughals, Westview Press, 2010. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=625184.
- Oakeshott, Michael. Lectures in the History of Political Thought, edited by Terry Nardin, and Luke O'Sullivan, Andrews UK Ltd., 2007. ProQuestEbook Central
- The Oxford Handbook of the History of Political Philosophy / Klosko, G — Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011. — 856 с. — ISBN 9780199238804. — URL: https://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199238804.001.0001/oxfordhb-9780199238804 (дата обращения: 30.08.2019). — Текст : электронный.