An international academic mobility programme is an opportunity to study abroad in one of the 100+ partner universities of the HSE. Students may spend a few weeks, one semester or even a whole academic year in a foreign country. Some of the spots are covered by different types of scholarships. More than 850 students have already gained international experience within our exchange programmes.
An international student mobility (Student Exchange) programme is your opportunity to study abroad for one semester or full academic year at one of HSE's partner universities.
Student Exchange is a unique chance to improve your language and communication skills, broader your Academic and career perspective and find many friends and future business partners from across the world!
Studying in a prestigious foreign university is an excellent highlight to your higher diploma which will increase your competitiveness in the labour market.
Centre for International Cooperation HSE - Saint Petersburg opens call for applications for international mobility programmes at the beginning of each semester. Besides, the students of the campus may benefit from the participation at the university-wide call for applications, which is coordinated by HSE Moscow Student International Mobility Office
- Student Exchange within the campus-specific mobility partnerships. Open for students from HSE - Saint Petersburg students only.
- Student Exchange within the HSE's university-wide mobility partnerships. Open for students from all HSE campuses, coordinated by campus in Moscow.
- Double Degree Programme (DDP). Coordinator e-mail: email@example.com
- International short-term exchange programmes such as summer schools with university-wide partners and summer/winter schools with HSE - Saint Petersburg partners.
- QTEM programme. Coordinator: Varvara Nazarova.
- Language internships within the intergovernmental programmes of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Individual arrangement of the study abroad programme as a Free mover.
- State-financed and Contract-based students showing the good academic performance (no failed exams)
- Students who do not have any active/uncleared disciplinary actions
- Bachelor’s students from HSE - Saint Petersburg starting from the 2nd year of studies (the students are to successfully pass at least four exam sessions)
- Master’s students from HSE - Saint Petersburg starting from the 1st year of studies (the students are to successfully pass at least one exam session)
- PhD students from HSE - Saint Petersburg (if this type of mobility is indicated in a student exchange agreement)
- Priority is given to the students who have not participated in the international mobility programmes before
Call for student exchange applications within campus-specific and university-wide mobility programmes is announced twice a year at the beginning of each semester.
Call for applications for the Fall Semester
HSE - Saint Petersburg (campus-specific) mobility programmes: January - March
HSE (university-wide) mobility programmes: February - March
Call for applications for the Spring Semester
HSE - Saint Petersburg (campus-specific) mobility programmes: September - October
HSE (university-wide) mobility programmes: August - September
Application periods may slightly vary from year to year. Some destinations require an earlier application, some allow late applications. Please follow our website - when a new call is open, it appears on the second page "Call for ... semester".
Please visit the websites of other mobility programmes to learn about their specific application requirements and deadlines!
- Exchange students (except free-movers) do not pay the tuition fee at the host partner university (some other fees e.g. application fee, registration fee, accommodation placement fee etc. may apply)
- Exchange students normally bear the airfare, accommodation and living expenses; a full or a partial scholarship covering the expenses might be received
- Your learning outcomes (credits) at the host partner university can be transferred to your HSE transcript of records
- The selection process is based on the applicant's academic performance, language proficiency and extracurricular activities (volunteering, scientific and teaching assistant experience)
- Selection results are approved by the HSE St.Petersburg Internationalisation Steering Group (ISG)
- One student can apply for multiple exchange programmes simultaneously (e.g both HSE - Saint Petersburg-specific and University-wide calls for applications) but can be nominated for one exchange program only
- A fee-paying student may apply for the tuition fee reassessment
- Information for State-financed students: "In accordance with the Regulation on Scholarship Provision for HSE students (Положение о стипендиальном обеспечении обучающихся НИУ ВШЭ ), students are not paid a state academic scholarship during the period after the end of the semester in which academic mobility was carried out and before the submission of a transcript of records from the host university. The state academic scholarship for this period is not subject to compensation".
- Check out the regular application periods of the mobility programmes you want to apply for. Wait for the new call for applications to be announced.
- Study the list of available study abroad destinations and make a motivated choice of 2-3 universities. Research the courses available for exchange students at the desired host university. Discuss your individual study plan with your Programme Academic Supervisor and your Head of the Study Office to match it with your curricula at HSE to ensure the credit transfer. We advise doing this research in advance, at least one month before the call for application starts!
- Pay special attention to the language requirements of the chosen destination. Make sure to secure the language certificate (IELTS, TOEFL etc.) in advance if it is required by the host university. Take your time before the call to improve your language proficiency - this is your key to a successful study abroad experience!
- Try to estimate the expenses that you will have to bear while on exchange. Look for scholarship opportunities.
- Start preparing your application in advance.
- When the new call for applications is announced, visit the website of the call, check the list of required documents and application procedure.
- Apply and submit all documents online - no need to submit any paper-based documents.