Research seminar "Qualitative Methods in Political Research"
- The goal of this course is to present the fundamentals of qualitative social research, as well as to develop students’ skills of using qualitative methods in their own empirical research.
- Understand the principles of qualitative research
- Know basic strategies and methods of qualitative research
- Able to use qualitative methods for collection and analysis of data
- Able to organize and to conduct qualitative research
- Introduction of qualitative research. The methodological basis. Design of qualitative research.Methodological basis of qualitative research. Principles and logic of qualitative research. Research as a process. The concept of design in qualitative research. Structural design elements. A sample in qualitative research. The ethics of qualitative research.
- Ethnographic strategy and observation.The understanding and types of strategies for qualitative research. Characteristics of the ethnographic strategy. Observation as a method of qualitative research: rules, procedures, difficulties
- Qualitative interview. Qualitative analysis of interview.The understanding of an interview. Types of interviews in qualitative research. Interview as a process, stages of the interview. Typical mistakes of qualitative interview. How to evaluate the quality of a qualitative interview. Types of qualitative analysis. Qualitative analysis procedures. Triangulation
- Discourse analysis.Discourse analysis strategy. The concept of the discourse. Types of discourse analysis. The procedures of the implementation of the strategy.
- The presentation of qualitative research results.Forms of presentation of research results in academia and in society. Genres of writing in qualitative research. The concept and the procedures for doing public science. Principles and rules of the scientific presentation.
- In-class Participation
- examThe exam is passed orally. The examination is conducted on the MS Teams platform (https://teams.microsoft.com/l/team/19%3ac7879100a8ad465cac60ce6f6d7f3afe%40thread.tacv2/conversations?groupId=ac71bf7e-a7dd-4062-a5af-01aea8ef33c7&tenantId=21f26c24-0793-4b07-a73d-563cd2ec235f). You could connect to the exam 15 minutes before the start. (There will be an opportunity to test the platform and the technical ability to share the presentation). To participate in the exam, the student must: turn on the camera and microphone, share the prepared presentation with the audience. During the exam, students are prohibited from: reading a presentation from a sheet. During the exam, students are allowed to: turn off the camera in case of communication problems. A short-term communication disruption during the exam is considered to be up to 1 minute. A long-term communication disorder during an exam is considered to be a period of 1 minute or more. In case of a long-term communication disruption, the student can continue to participate in the exam, but after the completion of the presentations of all speakers (examinees). The reexamination is the same as the procedure of the exam.
- Interim assessment (4 module)0.4 * exam + 0.2 * Homework + 0.4 * In-class Participation
- Denzin, N. K., & Giardina, M. D. (2014). Qualitative Inquiry Outside the Academy. Walnut Creek: Routledge. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=666131
- Leavy, P. (2014). The Oxford Handbook of Qualitative Research. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=779511
- Hesse-Biber, S. N., & Johnson, B. (2015). The Oxford Handbook of Multimethod and Mixed Methods Research Inquiry. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=989215
- Saldaña, J. (2011). Fundamentals of Qualitative Research. New York: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=355780
- Van Puyvelde, D. V. (DE-588)1138994839, (DE-576)492808287, aut. (2018). Qualitative research interviews and the study of national security intelligence / Damien Van Puyvelde, University of Glasgow. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edswao&AN=edswao.513894985