National Identity, Social and Political Development in Asia
- Provide students with the knowledge of the Asian national identity phenomenon (its role and place in sociopolitical development of the country).
- Provide students with the knowledge of methodological tools and their applications to the analysis of general problems in the context of national identity in Asia.
- Lecture 1. Introduction. National identity and its influence on sociopolitical development.Seminar 1. Chinese national identity and its implications for international relations.
- Lecture 2. China's search for national identity: past, present and future.Seminar 2. Taiwan's identity in formation.
- Lecture 3. Cultural identity and traditional cultural values: the case of China.Seminar 3. Confucianism contribution to resolving conflicts of cultural identities.
- Lecture 4. China’s national identity in a globalized world.Seminar 4. The rise of China’s national identity in the context of globalization.
- Lecture 5. ‘Children of the dragon and grandchildren of the fairy’: constructing identity in Vietnam.Seminar 5: Minorities and national identity in Vietnam.
- Lecture 6. Cultural identity, religion and traditional cultural values: the case of VietnamSeminar 6: Intangible cultural heritage of humanity in Vietnam and its’ place in constructing of identity.
- Lecture 7. Emperor of Japan: history of cult and recent changes.Seminar 7. Religion and secularism in contemporary Japan.
- Lecture 8. Russia and the West in Japanese identity.Seminar 8. Reflection of war and peace in contemporary Japan.
- Lecture 9. Traditional family patterns and its influence in contemporary Japan.Seminar 9. Ideas of Japan’s uniqueness: from kokugaku to nihonjinron.
- Presentation № 1
- Presentation №2
- Written examThe final exam will take the form of a written test with multiple choice questions, true/false, fill-in-the-blanks, etc types of questions.
- Written assignment (news digest)
- Interim assessment (2 module)0.2 * Presentation № 1 + 0.2 * Presentation №2 + 0.1 * Written assignment (news digest) + 0.5 * Written exam