Human Resource Management
- Describe the main activities involved in HRM.
- Understand the relationship between HRM and organizational performance, business strategy as well as organizational behavior
- Analyze the relationship between HR practices and their outcomes for both the individual and the organization.
- Know HRM key definitions and terminology in English
- Prepare CV and cover letter for a particular vacancy.
- Demonstrate the ability to catch new knowledge and skills in the fields beyond his/her majoring
- Define how to plan and carry out project in the fields of human resource management
- Estimate the required resources and plan their use to solve practice-related problems.
- Make sence of how to communicate efficiently based on communication goals and situations.
- Develop the ability to participate in the development of strategy, in human-resources management within an organization, and in the planning, designing, and conducting of different events.
- Collaborate as a team member
- Grasp how to compose and present research and analytical development projects in accordance with regulatory documents.
- Define the features of team working
- Topic 1. Strategy and policies of HRM. Organizational culture. Organizational development1) Explain what is meant by Human Resource. 2) Describe the HRM system. 3) Comprehend what is meant by strategic HRM. 4) Understand the role of line managers. 5) Clarify the core HR competencies. 6) Discuss different classifications of organizational culture. Learning objectives for the seminar: To discuss up-to-date approaches to determining the role of HR, managers and leaders. HR and Business cooperation and partnership. To talk about organizational cultures: main attributes of corporate culture, tools of corporate culture management. Practical workshop: Describe corporate culture (using main corporate culture attributes) and the strategy of culture introducing/changing.
- Topic 2. Workforce planning1) Understand what is meant by organizational behavior. 2) Comprehend what is meant by workforce planning. 3) Describe incidence of workforce planning. 4) Know about the link between workforce and business planning. 5) Explain the process of workforce planning. 6) Be able to define key stages of workforce planning. Learning objectives for the seminar: To consider employee life cycle in organization and employee replacement costs to underline the importance of workforce planning. Consider job satisfaction, organizational climate and tools of its measurement and management. Teamwork: Questionnaire for Climate Survey (focus directions, analysis of results and action plan).
- Topic 3. Recruitment and selectionLecture and seminar 1. 1) Be able to define key concepts of recruitment and selection process. 2) Understand defining requirements. 3) Comprehend attracting candidates. 4) Evaluate the numerous recruitment sources available. Learning objectives for the seminar: Competency-Based approach to define recruitment requirements. Practical workshop: “Recruitment request” (defining needs, specification of requirements, dialog with HR). Lecture and seminar 2. 1) Be able to identify key selection methods. 2) Understand the role of employment testing in the selection process. 3) Articulate final selection factors. Learning objectives for the seminar: Competency-based interview (CBI) as a structured interview method. Practical workshop: CBI structure, CBI questions (at the end – prepared scenario of competency-based interview). Lecture 3. 1) Consider the layout of CV. 2) Consider the layout of a cover letter.
- Topic 4. Onboarding (induction)1) Understand key elements of introduction to the organization (onboarding or induction). 2) Plan organizational, departmental, and self-directed/web-based orientation programs. 3) Articulate partner programs for new hires so that they may become acclimated to their new work environments as quickly and proficiently as possible. Learning objectives for the seminar: Role play “Competency-Based Interview” based on the prepared scenario (role play, discussions and feedback). Workshop: Onboarding plan for a new employee (individual assignment). To discuss how to build dialog after probation period (giving feedback, discussing growth potentials and development plans).
- Topic 5. Learning and development1) Comprehend the meaning of learning and development (L&D). 2) Understand the key practice of learning and development. 3) Identify approaches to learning needs analysis. 4) Evaluate the effectiveness of training. Learning objectives for the seminar: - To discuss the tools of learning needs analysis, lean approach to people development. To consider the tools of training effectiveness assessment. Self-monitoring scale. Development plan.
- Topic 6. Motivation & compensation systems.1) Comprehend the meaning of motivation. 2) Understand types of motivation. 3) Describe and critically evaluate the main theories of motivation. 4) Evaluate motivation and money. Learning objectives for the seminar: To discuss the approaches and tools of people motivation in organizations. Teamwork “Action plan - how to improve job satisfaction and people motivation” based on the case of Climate survey results. Group discussion of cases and articles.”
- Topic 7. Performance management and feedback. Employee communications. Generational theory.1) Comprehend the meaning of Strauss–Howe generational theory. 2) Identify four generations at work. 3) Define performance management. 4) Identify performance management cycle. Learning objectives for the seminar: - Workshop “Performance management”: The cascading of business objectives from the top to the line personnel, the sharing of goals and values, the link of business objectives with the soft skills and the development plan.
- Topic 8. Employee relations. Talent management. Employer brand.1) Define corporate brand and its stakeholders. 2) Identify the nature of the employer brand 3) Discuss the significance of the psychological contract. 4) Determine the basis of employee relations. Learning objectives for the seminar: - To discuss the approaches to Talent & Career management. - To consider the tools for potential assessment. - Talent pool & successors development. - Role play “Career and Development Dialog”.
- Topic 9. TeambuildingLecture: display group project Learning objectives for the seminar: To consider constructing a team. Main approaches and tools. Team analysis based on Belbin Questionnaire (questionnaire and action plan). Teambuilding game (the game, analysis and feedback).
- Topic 10. Management and leadership.Lecture: display group project Learning objectives for the seminar: - To discuss the difference between management and leadership. To determine leadership style. To identify leadership skills. Business game “Leadership” (the game, analysis and feedback).
- Homework 1: Written CV and Cover Letter (неблокирующий)Both files must be uploaded to the LMS not later than the deadline agreed at the beginning of the course and set at LMS. No grades will be given if files are not uploaded at LMS.
- Team-based project “Analysis of HR practices” based on the chosen company (неблокирующий)The team-based project includes two parts: 10-page paper (50% in grading) and presentation in the class (50% in grading). Both files must be uploaded at LMS not later than the deadline agreed at the beginning of the course and set at LMS. No grades will be given if files are not uploaded at LMS.
- Class activities (неблокирующий)
- Written exam in the LMS (неблокирующий)
- Промежуточная аттестация (2 модуль)0.25 * Class activities + 0.25 * Homework 1: Written CV and Cover Letter + 0.25 * Team-based project “Analysis of HR practices” based on the chosen company + 0.25 * Written exam in the LMS
- Armstrong, M. (2017). Armstrong’s Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice (Vol. 14th edition). New York: Kogan Page. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1507866
- Arthur, D. (2015). Fundamentals of Human Resources Management : A Practical Guide for Today’s HR Professional (Vol. Fifth edition). [Place of publication not identified]: AMA Self-Study. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1520882
- Buckley, M. R. (2014). Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management. Bingley: Emerald Group Publishing Limited. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1013776