As an international student at HSE-Saint Petersburg, you will be able to choose from a range of undergraduate and graduate courses in English and Russian language. Please check HSE course catalog, apply the filters and find the information about the courses, which are relevant to your study plan.
In June for the Fall semester applicants (Module 1 - 2) and Full year applicants (Module 1 - 4), and in December for the Spring semester applicants (Module 3 - 4) you will recieve your HSE Learning Management System (LMS) credentials for the course selection process.
How to apply for the courses:
1. Access your LMS account
2. In the mid left part of the screen, click on "Selective Courses" button. You will access the course catalogue in both in-campus and inter-campus courses
3. You should apply the filters (Discipline name, Faculty, Department, Reach Audience, Language, Modules, Credits, Quota and Places Left, URL to the syllabus of the course) and click on the "Select" button. To drop the course from the selected courses, click the "Remove" button
4. To complete the application, click the "Send a Request".
The full instruction on how to sign up for the courses can be found here
Please note, that the number of places in each course is limited, and disseminated on "first come - first served" basis.
During two weeks after the start of each semester an exchange or free-mover student could join the courses and make a decision on whether to keep taking ones or change their mind for another option. While selecting the courses make sure that the courses don’t overlap with each other. Please, bear in mind that the different courses are performed in different buildings of HSE University St.Petersburg.
In order to complete or change the course selection and to get your personal schedule available via RUZ you should sign up for the personal consultation during the two weeks after the start of each semester.
Russian as a Foreign Language course is provided for all students. The course is validated as 8 ECTS and is free of charge for the students from the partner universities and charged as the 8 ECTS course for the Free-movers. During the first week of the semester all the students receive the information about the time and place of the placement test. After that you will be able to choose between morning or evening groups for your level. We have groups for the following levels: A1, A2, B1, B2. Please find the syllabuses below.
Russian as a Foreign Language - A1
Russian as a Foreign Language - A2
Russian as a Foreign Language - B1
Russian as a Foreign Language - B2
Academic Calendar and Schedule
The academic year at HSE starts on the 1st of September and ends on the 30th of June (including classes, graduations, examinations, breaks and holidays).
An academic year is divided into four segments called “Modules”:
Module 1: 01.09.2021-17.10.2021, exam week: 18.10.2021-24.10.2021
Module 2: 25.10.2021-19.12.2021, exam week: 20.12.2021-30.12.2021
Module 3: 10.01.2022-27.03.2022, exam week: 28.03.2022-03.04.2022
Module 4: 04.04.2022-19.06.2022, exam week: 20.06.2022-30.06.2022
Winter break: 01.01.2022-09.01.2022
Spring break: 03.05.2022-08.05.2022
Summer break: 01.07.2022-31.08.2022
Daily classes are held in double periods of two academic hours: 1 double period = 2 academic hours = 80 minutes.
1st class 9:30—10:50
2nd class 11:10—12:30
3rd class 13:00—14:20
4th class 14:40—16:00
5th class 16:20—17:40
6th class 18:10—19:30
7th class 19:40—21:00
Wi-fi & Email
All university buildings (including dormitories) have free Wi-Fi access. The duration of one session is 30 minutes.
HSE provides all students with a university email address.
To enter your email box please visit edumail.hse.ru.
- Your login: first letter of your name + your firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Initial password: Edu + number of your student ID card (no dots, slashes, etc.).
After your first login, the system will ask you to change your password. If you forgot or lost your password, reach out your incoming mobility manager!
How are my studies assessed?
HSE uses a 10-point scale for studies assessment. Points are awarded based on the results of the ongoing assessment (tests, essays, homework, exams, etc.), as well as for active participation in lectures and seminars.
Here's how school and university grades compare:
Points for the ongoing assessment are accumulated during the module and are added according to a special formula into a single score for the course. The formula for this assessment is indicated in the course syllabus. The texts of all syllabi are published on your programme's website. All grades are recorded in the electronic grade book in the LMS.
As an international exchange or free-mover student, you will get a free of charge access to the library and electronic resources of HSE University. You need to follow the link, apply an automatic browser page translation (click on the right mouse button/right touch pad button), and get a verifying PIN - code. Afterwards you need to follow the link, apply an automatic browser page translation (click on the right mouse button/right touch pad button), enter a code PIN - code and get a remote access to the library recourses. More information could be found here.
- Kantemirovskaya St., 3A, building 1 (Petrogradskaya, Lesnaya metro stations) - Saint Petersburg School of Economics and Management;
- Naberezhnaya Kanala Griboedova, 123 (Sennaya Sq., Sadovaya, Spasskaya metro stations) - Saint Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Area Studies;
- Sedova St., 55A, building 2 (Lomonosovskaya metro station) - Saint Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Area Studies;
- Promyshlennaya St., 17, building 1 (Narvskaya metro station) - Saint Petersburg School School of Arts and Humanities; Saint-Petersburg School of Law;
- Souza Pechatnikov St., 16 (Sennaya Sq., Sadovaya, Spasskaya metro stations) - Saint Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Area Studies.
Each building has a wi-fi access, canteen, cafes, study open-spaces and a library. All the courses might take place in different buldings, in one week before the strat of the module addresses are uploaded to the schedule in RUZ.