As an international student at HSE University - Saint Petersburg, you will be able to choose from a range of undergraduate and graduate courses in English and Russian language. Please check HSE Course Catalogue, apply the filters and find the information about the courses which are relevant to your study plan.
The academic year at HSE starts on September 1 and ends on June 30 (including classes, graduations, examinations, breaks and holidays). It is divided into four segments called “Modules”:
Module 1: 01.09.2022 — 23.10.2022, exam week: 24.10.2022 — 30.10.2022
Module 2: 31.10.2022 — 20.12.2022, exam week: 21.12.2022 — 31.12.2022
Module 3: 09.01.2023 — 26.03.2023, exam week: 27.03.2023 — 02.04.2023
Module 4: 03.04.2023 — 20.06.2023, exam week: 21.06.2023 — 30.06.2023
Winter break: 01.01.2023 — 08.01.2023
Spring break: 02.05.2023 — 08.05.2023
Summer break: 01.07.2023 — 31.08.2023
Daily classes are held in double periods of two academic hours: 1 double period = 2 academic hours = 80 minutes.
1st class: 8:00 — 09:20
2nd class: 09:30 — 10:50
3rd class: 11:10 — 12:30
4th class: 13:00 — 14:20
5th class: 14:40 — 16:00
6th class: 16:20 — 17:40
7th class: 18:10 — 19:30
8th class: 19:40 — 21:00
All university buildings (including dormitories) have free Wi-Fi access. The duration of one session is 30 minutes.
HSE provides all students with a university email address.
To enter your email box please visit edumail.hse.ru:
- Your login: first letter of your name + your email@example.com.
- Initial password: Edu + number of your student ID card (no dots, slashes, etc.).
After your first login, the system will ask you to change your password. If you forgot or lost your password, reach out to your incoming mobility manager!
HSE uses a 10-point scale for studies assessment. Points are awarded based on the results of the ongoing assessment (tests, essays, homework, exams, etc.), as well as on active participation in lectures and seminars.
Here's how school and university grades compare:
Points for the ongoing assessment are accumulated during the module and are added according to a special formula into a single score for the course. The formula for this assessment is indicated in the course syllabus. The texts of all syllabi are published on your programme's website. All grades are recorded in the electronic grade book in the SmartLMS.
In September - for Modules 1 - 2 (Autumn semester and Full year applicants)
In January - for Modules 3 - 4 (Spring semester applicants)
The first two weeks of the semester are called "Shopping period". During this time you can attend your previously chosen courses to find out if they're applicable to your study plan, choose new courses or drop the ones you are no longer find suitable for you studies. While selecting the courses make sure that the courses don’t overlap with each other. Please bear in mind that different courses are performed in different buildings of HSE University - Saint Petersburg.
In order to complete or change the course selection and to get your personal schedule available via RUZ you should sign up for the personal consultation during the two weeks after the start of each semester.
How to apply for the courses:
1. Access your LMS account
2. In the mid left part of the screen, click on "Selective Courses" button. You will access the course catalogue in both in-campus and inter-campus courses
3. You should apply the filters (Discipline name, Faculty, Department, Reach Audience, Language, Modules, Credits, Quota and Places Left, URL to the syllabus of the course) and click on the "Select" button. To drop the course from the selected courses, click the "Remove" button
4. To complete the application, click the "Send a Request".
The full instruction on how to sign up for the courses can be found here
Please note, that the number of places in each course is limited, and disseminated on "first come - first served" basis.
Russian as a Foreign Language course is provided for all students. The course is validated as 8 ECTS and is free of charge for the students from the partner universities and charged as the 8 ECTS course for the free movers. During the first week of the semester all students receive the information about the time and place of the placement test. After that you will be able to choose between morning or evening groups for your level. We have groups for the following levels: A1, A2, B1, B2. Please find the syllabuses below.
Russian as a Foreign Language - A1
Russian as a Foreign Language - A2
Russian as a Foreign Language - B1
Russian as a Foreign Language - B2
As an international exchange or free mover student, you will get a free of charge access to the library and electronic resources of HSE University. You need to follow the link, apply an automatic browser page translation (click on the right mouse button/right touch pad button), and get a verifying PIN - code. Afterwards you need to follow the link, apply an automatic browser page translation (click on the right mouse button/right touch pad button), enter a code PIN - code and get a remote access to the library recourses. More information could be found here.
Student ID Card
- necessary for all students
- issued by your mobility coordinator (this usually takes between three to seven working days)
- confirms student’s status in order to receive student transport card in metro and student discounts (for example, the Hermitage)
Electronic ID Badge
- allows you to enter all HSE University study buildings and your dormitory
- issued by your mobility coordinator
Student transport card
- issued by Saint Petersburg metro approximately in a month from the start of the semester
- allows you to use public transport with a student discount (1205 RUB per month)
- you have to apply for a card yourself in any metro station after we inform you that you are in the metro database
- we recommend to take a Russian-speaking buddy to help you to apply for a card
Teaching Quality Assessment (TQA) is one of the measures that allows students to express their opinion on the organization of the teaching process and suggest ways of improving or changing it.
Students of all HSE campuses and education programmes who have exams in subjects that imply contact hours are involved in the Teaching Quality Assessment. TQA runs four times a year before an exam session. The assessment form is available in a student’s personal LMS account (‘Course evaluation’ option).
For more information about the procedure of assessment please see the instruction.