Management Accounting I
- The aim of the course is to provide students with the basic theoretical knowledge and practical skills in financial accounting and reporting in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Students have an idea about the place and the role of financial accounting in the system of management of the economic entity.
- Students understand the conceptual framework of accounting and the purpose, structure and content of the financial reporting in the modern market economy.
- Students understand the essence of accounting terms and to use them properly.
- Students have basic practical skills in financial reporting and interpreting accounting information under International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Students use strong analytical skills and apply them to solve practical problems.
- Students demonstrate an innovative, open and ethical mindset.
- Topic 1. Financial Accounting and the Format of Financial Statements1. The accounting system 2. The Balance Sheet 3. The Income Statement 4. Statement of Stockholders’ Equity 5. Statement of Cash Flows 6. Relationships among statements 7. Responsibilities for the accounting communication process
- Topic 2. Investing and Financing Decisions and the Accounting System1. Overview of accounting concepts 2. Nature of business transactions 3. Accounts 4. Transaction analysis and accounting entries
- Topic 3. Operating Decisions and the Accounting System1. The operating cycle 2. Accrual accounting 3. Transaction Analysis Rules
- Topic 4. The Accounting Cycle1. Accounting cycle 2. Purpose and types of adjustments 3. Adjustment process 4. Preparing financial statements 5. End of accounting cycle
- Topic 5. Reporting Revenue, Receivables, and Cash1. Accounting for net sales revenue 2. Measuring and reporting receivables 3. Reporting cash
- Topic 6. Reporting Cost of Goods Sold and Inventory1. Nature of inventory and cost of goods sold 2. Inventory costing methods 3. Evaluating inventory management 4. Control of inventory
- Topic 7. Reporting Property, Plant, and Equipment; Intangibles1. Acquisition and maintenance of PPE 2. Use, impairment, and disposal of PPE 3. Intangible assets
- Topic 8. Reporting Liabilities1. Liabilities defined and classified 2. Short-term liabilities 3. Long-term liabilities
- Topic 9. Reporting Owners’ Equity1. Ownership of a corporation 2. Common stock transactions 3. Dividends on common stock
- Midterm test (20%)Individual, in-class, open book, topic: 1,2,3,4.
- In-class activities (20%)Individual or in small groups, in-class, open book questions, tasks, discussions, cases.
- Final exam test (60%)The final exam will take the form of a 2-hour (80 min) closed book written test. The exam test consists of questions and tasks.
- Промежуточная аттестация (2 модуль)0.6 * Final exam test (60%) + 0.2 * In-class activities (20%) + 0.2 * Midterm test (20%)
- Murthy, G. (2009). Financial Accounting (Vol. 1st ed). Mumbai [India]: Himalaya Publishing House. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=342112
- BPP Learning Media. (2017). Foundations in Accountancy : F3/FFA Financial Accounting: Interactive Text: for Exams From 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2018 (Vol. Sixth edition). London: BPP Learning Media. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=nlebk&AN=1522342