Introductory Research Seminar
- The aim of the course consists of developing skills of conducting scientific researches in the management sphere;
- acquering knowledge in modern information technologies, being used for conducting scentific reaserches;
- acquering knowledge of working in MS Excel, MS Word, MS Powerpoint;
- developing skills in information searching and processing.
- The ability to collect, process, and analyze data necessary for solving research tasks
- The ability to choose relevant methods for processing information in correspondence with scientific tasks, to analyze the results of calculations, and to defend conclusions based on these calculations
- The ability to analyze and interpret data from domestic (Russian) and foreign statistics about social and economic processes and trends, and to identify regular changes in social and economic indicators
- The ability to work in a team
- The ability to find and evaluate new market possibilities and formulate new business ideas
- The ability to use modern technical tools and information technology to solve analytic and research tasks
- Part 1. Advanced Data Analysis in Microsoft Excel1 Overview of sources for statistical data and scientific literature in Economics and Management. 2 Date and time functions: NOW, TODAY etc. Information Functions. Troubleshoot formulas. Defining names for ranges and objects. 3 Financial functions. Principles of financial modelling. Cube functions (optional) 4 Test 1 1 5 Simple financial models in Microsoft Excel. Statistical Inference in Microsoft Excel (Statistical and Compatibiity Functions) 6 Test 2
- Part 2. Writing and Presentation Skills in Microsoft Word7 Microsoft Word. Documents: creation, managing, formatting, customizing options and views, printing and saving. Text formatting, inserting a text and paragraphs, ordering and grouping text and paragraphs. 8 Creating and modifying tables and lists. Managing references: reference markers, simple references. Managing graphic elements. 9 Managing documents and templates. Preparing documents for reviewing. Managing documents changes. Performing advanced editing and formatting. Creating advanced references. Managing bibliography. Creating custom Word elements. 10 Test 3
- Part 3. Writing and Presentation Skills in Microsoft PowerPoint11 Microsoft Power Point. Presentation basics. Modifying slides, ordering and grouping slides. Changing presentation options and views. Configuring presentation for print. Configuring and presentation for a slide show. Text management. Tables, charts and other objects in presentations. Applying transitions and animations. Managing multiple presentations. 12 Test 4
- Test 1
- Test 2Exam in a distant form. 1 h 20 minutes to finish all practical exercises and upload final files to the project in LMS.
- Test 3Exam in a distant form. 1 h 20 minutes to finish all practical exercises and upload final files to the project in LMS.
- ExamExam in a distant form. 1 h 20 minutes to finish all practical exercises and upload final files to the project in LMS.
- Interim assessment (4 module)0.25 * Exam + 0.25 * Test 1 + 0.25 * Test 2 + 0.25 * Test 3
- Bernd Held, Theodor Richardson (2015) Microsoft Excel Functions and Formulas, 3rd ed. Mercury Learning. [HSE access, books 24*7]
- Benninga, S. (2014). Financial Modeling (Vol. Fourth edition). Cambridge, Massachusetts: The MIT Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1089520