The Institute for Linguistic Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences(ILS RAS) is one of the leading research institutions in Russia in the field of linguistics. The main lines of work of the specialized department on the basis of the ILS RAS are:
● Formulation of the problems of Russian lexicology and lexicography, research and development, compilation and publication of various types of dictionaries(of modern literary language, historical, dialectal),
● Studying and documenting the languages of the peoples of the Russian Federation: Altaic, Paleo-Asiatic, Samoyedic, Ural,
● Development of problems of the theory of grammar and typology of languages,
● Comparative historical Indo-European linguistics research,
● Study of the relationship between language and culture.