Russian experts get acquainted with the Nordic experience in culture and healthcare sectors
On the 16-17th of November 2016 experts from St. Petersburg took part in the international conference «Nordic Welfare States and Public Health – А Need for Transformative Change?», held in Helsinki.
The aim of the conference was to explore the experience of foreign colleagues from Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Iceland on cooperation in the sphere of culture and health, as well as get acquainted with reforms in social sector and healthcare sectors in the Nordic countries, which contribute to the creation of an accessible environment for people with disabilities.
The conference program included plenary sessions and round tables such as:
• The economic prospects of Northern welfare. Can the promotion of healthy lifestyles to contribute to economic growth?;
• Nordic model of welfare: a turning point in the provision of social services;
• Public health strategies, health and well-being in all spheres of activities and the Nordic model of welfare in the future;
• The problem of childhood obesity in the Nordic countries;
• Youth in the Nordic countries – the complexity of entering the labor market;
• Parental support – from methods to practice;
• Existing social reforms and reforms in the health sector in the Nordic countries;
• One world, one health: antimicrobials;
• Ambulance services in the Nordic countries - standardization, collection and comparison of data;
• Migration and its impact on the health system, social insurance and security in the Nordic countries;
• Freedom of choice and equality;
• A long and healthy life: health and career.
During breakout sessions, experts from St. Petersburg discussed the important socio-cultural aspects of modern society and exchanged experience with their Northern colleagues.
On 17 November, the participants also visited the Centre Nyyttipuisto (Rinnekoti Foundation) for people with disabilities. Anna Eskola, Manager of the Center, had a tour and represented the work of the institution, methods, and approaches to rehabilitation and socialization of persons with disabilities. The Russian specialists got acquainted with an individualized rehabilitation program that allow each visitor take an active part in various activities of the Center, to find your own way of expression, and also to learn the skills necessary for successful integration into society.