Event Experience Management
- To help students to gain knowledge and better understanding of the event processes in the modern economy that is also featured as experience economy.
- Student has knowledge of main concepts, theories and specific tools applied in event management.
- Student is able to analyze processes and phenomena related to event management.
- Student is able to plan his individual activities in event managment.
- Student has ability to apply categories and concepts in professional activity.
- Student has ability to apply methods used for intellectual development and professional integrity.
- Student is able to source documents and commenting literature as well as present interpretation verbally or in written.
- Student analyzes a situation, suggests compares possible decisions, evaluates environmental factors and consequences.
- Student can conduct research projects in event management.
- Student can collaborate with the others in groups.
- Student uses different negotiation strategies and tactics in team communication, including class work and distance communication.
- Student is able to use different sources of information, including electronic data bases, and also to survey and analyze core publications, related to the theme of research.
- Topic 1. Introduction to event managementEvent studies. Cultural tourism and event movement. Current trends of event organization in Russia and worldwide. Approaches to classification of events. Best and worst practices. Great event destinations.
- Topic 2. Events, tourism and place brandingEvent boom and rise of tourism; events under conditions of experience economy. Creative city and events. events as a tool of place branding and the element of local and national brand. Economic impact and benefits (investment, tourism, work-force, city residence, commercial companies, politicians).
- Topic 3. Project management - event productionEvent as a project. Projects within a event. How to make a good project? Lifecycle of a project. Project management tools. Project budget design. Monitoring and controlling. Staffing across a project lifecycle.
- Topic 4. Interaction with stakeholders. Part I. People management: how to buy a talent?Event’s stakeholders: concept, approaches, classification. Artists management. Celebrities and creative participants of a event: how to buy a talent? Engaging, agreement development, payment. Staff management (hiring seasonal employees). Interaction with volunteers: peculiarities of engaging and working processes. Specificities of motivation for various types of personnel.
- Topic 5. Interaction with stakeholders. Part II. Audience developmentAudience development: concept, modern approaches. Identification of own audience for a event. Audience and main goals of a event. From short-term to long term relationships with audience. Basic marketing tools of audience development. Getting feedback from audience: before, within and after a event. Feedback and further improvement: what to do with information? Best and worst practices in audience development.
- Topic 6. Funding: how to get money? Financial sources and partners of eventFinancial sources for event organization. Legislative framework for Russian events. Peculiarities of financing in European countries. Management of participation in tender competition. Specificities of public financing. Participation in tender: concept of tender; types of tenders; conditions for participation; participants. Legislative framework of tender competition. Preparation of documents. Financing through international organization and foreign consulates. Types of appropriate events. Specificities of application procedure. Sponsors aid: search and receiving. Specificities of sponsorship packages. Own revenues of a event. Tickets distribution and other revenue items. Crowd funding: concept and practices. Tools for crowd funding.
- Topic 7. Security issues in event organizationConcept of security within event management: current approaches and challenges. Position of different stakeholders. Individual and communal security. Security agencies and public services.
- Topic 8. Sustainability in event organizationGreen and sustainable events: assessment and reduction of ecological impact of a event. Main principles of sustainability. Vision of events in a sustainable society. Organizing a sustainable event: best practices from international experience.
- Topic 9. Technology and legislative framework of event organizationInteraction with public bodies. Legislative framework for event organization in St. Petersburg and selected regions of Russia. Practical issues: signing agreements, transportation and insurance of art objects.
- Topic 10. Presentation of individual project
- Homework (неблокирующий)The students’ individual and group homework presented at the seminars.
- Project (неблокирующий)The individual project of a student’s own event presented in written in the form of essay and verbally at the class.
- Class work (неблокирующий)The students’ individual and group work at the seminars in the form of case analysis, presentations, problems solving etc.
- Exam (неблокирующий)
- Промежуточная аттестация (2 модуль)0.2 * Class work + 0.3 * Exam + 0.2 * Homework + 0.3 * Project
- Dowson, R., & Bassett, D. (2018). Event Planning and Management : Principles, Planning and Practice (Vol. Second edition). London: Kogan Page. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1922109
- European Commission, & Directorate-General for Research and Innovation. (2011). European arts festivals : Strengthening cultural diversity. https://doi.org/10.2777/48715
- Yeoman, I. (2004). Festival and Events Management. Amsterdam: Routledge. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=104742