Russia and the Middle East
- To form in students a comprehensive understanding of the main stages of the formation and development of relations between Russia and the countries of MENA region and stable knowledge of the history of relations between Russia and MENA countries.
- To instill in students the skills of analyzing social, political, religious and economic relations between Russia and MEAN countries based on sources and research literature.
- To acquaint students with the main sources and research on the history of the formation and development of relations between Russia and MENA countries.
- Able to conduct research activities, including analyzing problems, setting goals and objectives, identifying the object and subject of research, choosing the method and methods of research, as well as assessing its quality.
- Knows how to distinguish between general and specific in the formation and political development of relations between Russia and MENA countries.
- Knows the general principles and patterns of development of relations between Russia and MENA countries.
- Section 1. USSR and Russia in the Middle East: from messianism to pragmatism
- Section 2. The policy of Russia and the USSR on the settlement of conflicts in the Middle East
- Section 3. Russia and Arab countries: old 'friends' and new partners
- Section 4. Russia and Iran: ‘marriage of convenience’
- Section 5. Russia and Turkey: results and years of real pragmatism
- ReportThe report is an oral message using a presentation on the topic chosen by the student. As a topic, the student must choose any of the proposed countries (related to the MENA region) and analyze the relations of this country with Russia. The choice of the same country by two or more students is not allowed. The student must choose the topic and date of the presentation within 7 days from the first lesson of the course. The speech should be calculated for 30-40 minutes and contain a short historical background, the main stages of the development of relations, the formulation of the research problem / research question, as well as a reasoned conclusion about what areas of cooperation, in the speaker's opinion, can act as drivers of the development of relations between Russia and the chosen country and what issues, on the contrary, hinder the development of relations between the countries.
- Test on literature and lectures5 questions of different format, 10 minutes.
- 2022/2023 4th module0.4 * Exam + 0.3 * Report + 0.3 * Test on literature and lectures
- Nikolay Kozhanov. (2021). Russia’s Relations with the GCC and Iran. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Vasil, ev, A. M. V. aut. (2018). Russia’s Middle East policy from Lenin to Putin Alexey Vasiliev.
- Political Narratives in the Middle East and North Africa Conceptions of Order and Perceptions of Instability edited by Wolfgang Mühlberger, Toni Alaranta. (2020).
- Robert H. Donaldson, & Vidya Nadkarni. (2019). The Foreign Policy of Russia : Changing Systems, Enduring Interests: Vol. Sixth edition. Routledge.
- Rumer, E. B. (2017). Russian Foreign Policy Beyond Putin. Routledge.
- Trenin, D. V. . V. (DE-588)114738327, (DE-627)543648303, (DE-576)175880190, aut. (2018). What is Russia up to in the Middle East? Dmitri Trenin.