Sociology of Childhood and Adolescence
- Developing an understanding of the phenomena of childhood and adolescence
- Understanding modern sociological approaches to their study
- Be able to identify socially relevant problems of childhood and adolescence on the basis of material analysis and suggest measures to solve them on the basis of the knowledge acquired in the course
- Applies knowledge of theoretical approaches to planning a sociological study on childhood and adolescence
- Demonstrates proficiency in sociological research methods while analysing the phenomena of childhood and adolescence
- Demonstrates the ability to choose a methodological framework and develop a programme and tools for sociological research.
- Has skills in working with scholarly sources in English and knows the main trends in contemporary international sociology of childhood and adolescence.
- Be able to independently search for relevant scientific sources and conduct an independent analysis of them
- Be able to summarise and reproduce the lesson material, evaluate it, express/write his/her own point of view, offer his/her own interpretation
- Theme 1: " Child " and " adolescent ": A history of phenomena and concepts
- Theme 2: Sociology of childhood and adolescence: history of development, main theoretical approaches
- Theme 3: Childhood and adolescence in the context of structural conditions
- Theme 4: Everyday life and cultural practices of childhood and adolescence
- In-class participationIn-class participation involves the active engagement of students in the discussion of proposed theoretical sources or examples of empirical research on digital society, digital youth. Seminars may include group work, processing of publicly available information, presentation, and further discussion of materials in compliance with the ethics of academic discussion. Self-study requires from students skills of academic reading, analysis of empirical sources on course topics, ability to represent arguments in a structured way, and to demonstrate the scientific skills of reflection and critical thinking about the material In-class participation will include: - Academic reading - watching and discussing films - PowerPoint presentations - Self-reflection on student’s experience
- ExamThe final exam takes the form of a presentation of individual autoethnographic research on the topic of childhood and adolescence (based on the analysis of own photographs). The topic of the research is chosen by the student independently and agreed upon with the tutor. The presentation should include the following components: 1. Rationale for the research topic. 2. Theoretical framework of the study. 3. Rationale and description of research logic. 4. Results of the analysis and conclusions.
- HomeworkThe homework is done in groups of 2-3 people. The task of the group is to give a presentation on "My Post-Soviet Childhood". The results of the study should be presented in the form of a presentation, which should include the following aspects: 1. Material world 2. Practices. 3. institutions 4. Social relations and hierarchies.
- Honig, M.-S., Corsaro, W. A., & Qvortrup, J. (2009). The Palgrave Handbook of Childhood Studies. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=310580
- Font Palomar, M. (2018). A history of childhood. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsbas&AN=edsbas.C8F50FB0
- МАЙОРОВА-ЩЕГЛОВА СВЕТЛАНА НИКОЛАЕВНА. (2014). Трансформации Детства В Начале Xxi В.: К Уточнению Концепции Социального Конструирования Детства. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsbas&AN=edsbas.CD064A98
- Под ред. Ленькова Р.В. - СОЦИОЛОГИЯ МОЛОДЕЖИ 2-е изд., пер. и доп. Учебник для вузов - М.:Издательство Юрайт - 2020 - 357с. - ISBN: 978-5-534-12768-3 - Текст электронный // ЭБС ЮРАЙТ - URL: https://urait.ru/book/sociologiya-molodezhi-448294
- Социология молодежи : учебник / К.В. Воденко, С.С. Черных, С.И. Самыгин, П.С. Самыгин; под ред. К.В. Воденко. — М. : РИОР : ИНФРА-М, 2017. — 189 с. — (Высшее образование: Бакалавриат). — https://doi.org/10.12737/textbook_58dbc61de35ac - Режим доступа: http://znanium.com/catalog/product/884165