Double Degree Track with University of Trento
About the Double Degree track
The Double Degree track is organized according to the agreement between HSE St. Petersburg and the University of Trento (UniTrento). It implies that Master in Modern Social Analysis students have the opportunity to spend the second study year (3rd and 4th semesters) or only the 3rd semester of the second study year (if the students obtain at least 30 ECTS at the Host university) in Italy at the programme “Sociology and Social Research”, while UniTrento students are able to get enrolled to HSE St. Petersburg as degree seeking students. The Double Degree Programme students will be eligible for two degrees if they successfully finish their studies at both universities.
The double degree track is a unique opportunity for the students to:
- broaden and deepen their knowledge in the field of social research;
- get experience of international communication and education in a new environment;
- become more competitive and successful on the global labor market;
- develop academic career and enter international PhD programme.
About Master’s Degree Progamme in Sociology and Social Research of UniTrento
The Master’s Degree Progamme in Sociology and Social Research at UniTrento trains graduates with a high level preparation in the field of social research. Graduates master logic-conceptual tools and the resulting theoretical and methodological skills required in the different phases of social research:
- tabling of hypotheses;
- the preparation of a research plan suitable to test the hypotheses;
- data collection techniques;
- analysis and interpreting of quantitative and qualitative data.
UniTrento earned a good position in the World University Ranking 2020 by the Times Higher Education magazine, which ranks the best universities on the planet and examined 1390 universities worldwide. The University ranked in the 301-350 group.
In the QS World University Rankings 2020 the University of Trento ranked 403rd. Also UniTrento is tenth of the 36 Italian universities included in the ranking, and is in the top 34% at global level. The indicator that still provided most points to the University is the one evaluating research outputs. The employability of UniTrento graduates, measured in the Graduate Employability Ranking QS, is stable in the 201-250 group.
The University leads the Censis ranking 2020-2021 in the category of medium sized universities (those with 10,000 to 20,000 students) with a final score of 98,7/110. Of the six indicators considered, these were crucial for the result achieved by UniTrento: "communication and digital services" (110 points), "employability" and "scholarships and other student aid" (103). However, it scored well in the category facilities (100) too.
Who can apply?
1st year students that
- study at the HSE St. Petersburg Master’s Programme in Modern Social Analysis
- have a certified knowledge of the English language at the level not lower than IELTS 6.0. or TOEFL IBT 80 or the relevant language test results confirmed by HSE St Petersburg (the Double Degree Track is delivered in English in both universities)
The track is open for 2 best students that are going to be selected by the Programme Board of Master in Modern Social Analysis based on their academic merits and motivation.
Applications and required documents should be downloaded in the LMS through the special module. The application period opens in January. The call and the list of the required documents are published every year in LMS.
Students participating in the double degree track pay tuition fees only at the Home University (if applicable).
The other costs associated with the program should be covered by the students:
- international travel;
- accommodation expenses,
- mandatory health insurance for international students or equivalent private insurance,
- textbooks and miscellaneous expenses.
The final dissertation is co-supervised by academic tutors of both universities.
Double Degree Programme students defend their final dissertation either at UniTrento or at HSE St Petersburg, which is valid for both universities.
The questions about participation in the double degree track can be addressed to the Programme Office or to the Centre for International Accreditations and Network Programmes email@example.com; the questions about programme content can be addressed to the Academic Director.