Introduction to Financial Accounting
- The aim of the course is to provide students with the basic theoretical knowledge and practical skills in financial accounting in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Use strong analytical skills and apply them to solve practical problems.
- Have basic practical skills in financial reporting under International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Understand the essence of accounting terms and to use them properly.
- Understand the conceptual framework of accounting and the purpose, structure and content of the financial reporting in the modern market economy.
- Have an idea about the place and the role of financial accounting in the system of management of the economic entity.
- Demonstrate an innovative, open and ethical mindset.
- Topic 1. What is accounting and it's role in business1. Definition of accounting 2. Users of accounting information 3. Types of accounting 4. International accounting standardization
- Topic 2. Financial statements: definitions and structure1. Balance sheet 2. Income statement 3. Statement of changes in owner’s equity 4. Cash flow statement 5. Financial statement relationships
- Topic 3. Basic accounting concepts1. Concepts related to the entire model 2. Concepts related to transactions 3. Concepts related to bookkeeping procedures 4. Concepts related to financial statements
- Topic 4. The bookkeeping process and transaction analysis1. The accounting equation – a mechanical key 2. How transactions impact the accounting equation 3. Bookkeeping procedures 4. Transaction Analysis Methodology
- Topic 5. Communicating and interpreting accounting information1. Players in the accounting communication process 2. A question of ethics 3. The disclosure process 4. Differenced in accounting: international prospective
- Test 1Individual, in-class, open book
- Test 2Individual, in-class, open book
- Test 3Individual, in-class, open book
- Test 4Individual, in-class, open book
- Test 5Individual, in-class, open book
- Final exam testIndividual, in-class, closed book
- Interim assessment (1 module)0.5 * Final exam test + 0.1 * Test 1 + 0.1 * Test 2 + 0.1 * Test 3 + 0.1 * Test 4 + 0.1 * Test 5
- Financial accounting, Libby, R., Libby, P.A., 2016
- Murthy, G. (2009). Financial Accounting (Vol. 1st ed). Mumbai [India]: Himalaya Publishing House. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=342112
- Stittle J., Wearing R.T. Financial Accounting [Electronic resource] / J. Stittle, R.T. Wearing. – SAGE Publications, 2008. – 177 p. – URL: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/hselibrary-ebooks/detail.action?docID=420915