Academic English Writing
- To develop knowledge of essential academic writing rules
- To develop an ability to plan and write an successful academic paper
- To develop an ability to paraphrase and summarize academic texts and synthesize information
- To develop an ability to format academic manuscripts using a chosen publication style
- To develop an ability to incorporate evidence into academic work properly and to avoid plagiarism
- Ability to plan and write an successful academic paper
- Ability to paraphrase and summarize academic texts and synthesize information
- Ability to incorporate evidence into academic work properly and to avoid plagiarism
- Knowledge of essential academic writing rules
- Ability to format academic manuscripts using a chosen publication style
- Introduction to the course. Writing a project proposal.Stages of the writing process. Scheduling your project work. English academic writing: academic vocabulary, grammar, punctuation.
- Literature search for academic projectsSearching for academic literature sources. Reading academic journals and book chapters. Reviewing effective reading strategies (reading abstracts, understanding the text structure, scanning, skimming, facts vs. opinions, taking notes). Keeping records of academic sources: bibliographic software (e.g., Endnote). Selecting your topic and working title.
- Referencing literature. Writing an annotated bibliography.Supporting your arguments. Referencing. Publication Styles. Plagiarism and how to avoid it. Paraphrasing. Presenting data and statistics. Formatting (title page, table of contents, headings, references). Writing an annotated bibliography.
- The structure of a research paper (article). Writing paragraphs. Introduction and Conclusion.Planning your research paper. Structure of a research paper. Writing paragraphs (thesis, unity, focus, cohesion and coherence); Writing introductions and conclusions.
- Building critical writing skills. Writing a literature review and a reflective essay-proposal.Arguments; summarizing, synthesizing, evaluation; writing a literature review. How to make your writing more academic? Focus on style. Grammar and punctuation (continued). Building vocabulary range. Writing and editing the essay draft.
- Final Exam
- Project: Analysis of a Masters Thesis in History
- An annotated bibliography
- Home Tasks
- Промежуточная аттестация (1 модуль)0.1 * An annotated bibliography + 0.4 * Final Exam + 0.4 * Home Tasks + 0.1 * Project: Analysis of a Masters Thesis in History