Historical Textual Criticism
- knowledge of how to analyze key features of text and narrative as historical sources, including the issues surrounding texts’ authorship and edition, and its status as original or copy.
- ability to contextualize historical sources, characterize different texts and narratives, and apply various approaches to the textual analysis
- understanding theoretical and methodological issues in the analysis of texts and narrative theory, such as fictionality, narrative instances, focalization, plot, discourse, and their implications to historical research
- learned skills of historical analysis of texts in practice of research
- The inquisitor.
- Language games.
- Facts and scientific texts.
- The cultural biography of things.
- Archival turn.
- attendanceBased on the class attendance
- Seminars participation
- ExamExam is organized in a form of a take home final essay: this is essay-long discussion of randomly selected two questions from the list of exam questions. Exam asks students to debate across empirical material and different approaches covered in the course. Specifically, in answering each of these questions, students are required to use at least three individual pieces of writing from this course syllabus, not to repeat material in discussion of each of the two questions, and in answering both questions to draw on only one piece of readings that you presented on in class. Late assignments will be marked down by 10% of the mark per day and if you plagiarize, you fail. Formula for calculating accumulative and final marks:
- Промежуточная аттестация (2 модуль)0.06 * attendance + 0.7 * Exam + 0.12 * review + 0.12 * Seminars participation
- Verdery, K. (2014). Secrets and Truths : Ethnography in the Archive of Romania’s Secret Police. Budapest: Central European University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=714232
- Shapin, S. (2008). The Scientific Life : A Moral History of a Late Modern Vocation. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=285089