Entering the Russian Federation for studying in 2020-2021 during COVID-19 pandemic
Procedure of entering the country
Despite the current restrictions on entry, the management of the Higher School of Economics in St. Petersburg has developed and approved an entry procedure for international students.
International students entering the Russian Federation must:
1. Follow the update of the list of "open" countries on this page
Follow only by the official information on the HSE website!
2. Plan the visit to the Russian Federation no earlier than 15 days after your country is included in the list
If you need a visa to enter the Russian Federation, after the country of your citizenship is included in the list of "open countries", employees of the Visa & Immigration Support Office will contact you and inform you about the procedure and approximate terms for issuing a visa invitation. Do not buy a ticket to the Russian Federation until the Embassy / Consulate of the Russian Federation assigns you a date for obtaining a visa! In order to avoid misunderstandings, we recommend that you do not buy tickets before receiving a visa.
3. After buying a ticket and no later than 15 days before the date of entry into the Russian Federation, send your study office by e-mail the following information:
Subject of the letter: entry of an international student into the Russian Federation
Indicate in the letter:
- Full name in Latin letters as in the passport on which it is planned to enter the Russian Federation
- Your educational program at the Higher School of Economics - St. Petersburg
- Date of birth in dd.mm.yyyy format
- Series and number of the document (passport), according to which it is planned to enter the Russian Federation
- Estimated date of entry into the Russian Federation (which is indicated on your ticket)
- Point of entry into the Russian Federation (name of the airport of arrival or land border crossing point)
- Series and number of the visa (only if you have a Russian study visa valid at the time of the planned entry into the Russian Federation)
4. No later than the day of entry into the Russian Federation, send a scan of a negative PCR test for coronavirus to your educational office and to email@example.com
Carry the original test (certificate) in Russian or English with you when entering the Russian Federation
5. When crossing the border of the Russian Federation, indicate the purpose of entry "study"
6. In case of difficulties when crossing the border of the Russian Federation, contact the hotline for international students by phone: +7 (981) 830 15 40
7. On the day of entry into the Russian Federation, send by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org the documents for migration registration in accordance with the instructions and make sure that confirmation is received within one working day. If confirmation has not come, urgently contact the Visa & Immigration Support Office
8. After arriving in the Russian Federation, observe the self-isolation regime at the place of residence and, within 72 hours from entering the Russian Federation, pass a second PCR test for coronavirus. For the organization of the educational process during the period of self-isolation, contact your study office
9. The results of the re-test on the day of receipt should be submitted to the administration of the dormitory (if you live in one of the HSE dormitories), as well as sent by e-mail to your study office and to email@example.com
10. Come to the university to receive and sign documents on migration registration after receiving an invitation from the Visa & Immigration Support Office and only if there is a negative PCR test done after entering the Russian Federation
11. Start studying according to the instructions received from the study office
In regard with stated above, we strongly recommend the following:
• DO NOT enter for the purpose of entry other than "study" (for example, for medical treatment, private visit etc);
• Do not attempt to transit through opened countries (UK, Turkey etc.);
• Do not try to illegally cross the border, hoping that you will be lucky;
• Wait until the official opening of the borders with the country of your citizenship
As of May 27, 2021, the borders of the Russian Federation remain closed for the entry of most foreign citizens in accordance with the Order of the Government of the Russian Federation of March 16, 2020 No. 635-r.
- United Kingdom
- United Arab Emirates
- South Ossetia
- South Korea
- Republic of Seychelles
- Sri Lanka
- Saudi Arabia
- Moldova (only with air points of entry)
The list will be updated as new orders of the Government will be issued. Also, we recommend that you follow the updates on the official website of the Government of the Russian Federation
In the conditions of self-isolation, migration registration this academic year will be carried out remotely. Read the full procedure for migration registration, and mind that this is the most important process, which is important to pay attention to immediately after crossing the border in order to avoid any fines, sanctions or even deportation for violation of migration laws.
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.