Research Seminar “Economics, Business and Society”
- Research Seminar is aimed at discussing academic research in the field of economic sociology, and at the formation of professional competences in studying business, economy, and society. Students will also learn how to write and read academic papers.
- Understand the principles of doing academic research
- Know the methods and principles of sociological research
- Know the specificity of sociological approach to studying economy
- Able to conduct sociological research
- Able to use qualitative methods of data collection and analysis
- Able to study business and economic with sociological methods
- The organization of science and research projectThe organization of science - In the framework of this topic, it will be shown how the scientific activity in the modern academy is organized, what is its peculiarity, what are the principles of organization, what are the strategies for the development of scientific career. Writing a scientific article - In the framework of this topic a process of writing and preparing a academic article will be presented. The leaders of research seminar will analyze the features of writing scientific texts using their own works as an example. Development of students’ research projects - Within the framework of this topic, the stages of a student research project will be analyzed. In the framework of group discussions, the students' own achievements will be presented and analyzed.
- Fundamentals of economic and sociological analysis of business and economyIntroduction to Economic Sociology - An introductory classes, in which economic sociology will be presented as a modern sociological discipline, identifies areas and fields of study, and highlights key approaches. Key topics and areas of economics and sociological research - The students will discuss specific examples of business and economy in Russia Realization of economic activities in St. Petersburg - Within the framework of this topic, examples of the “real” activities of economic agents will be presented and analyzed.
- Methodology of sociological research: collection and analysis of qualitative interviewsQualitative research - In the framework of this topic, the basic principles and reasons for conducting a qualitative study, its difference from quantitative Data collection - The topic will analyze the features and rules for conducting a qualitative interview and realizing case study Analysis of the interview - In the framework of this topic will be presented ways to analyze data collected by the interview
- In-class participation
- Homework1Presentation of the individual research proposal
- Homework 2Presentation of the research design and piloting of instrument
- Interim assessment (3 module)0.3 * Exam + 0.2 * Homework 2 + 0.2 * Homework1 + 0.3 * In-class participation
- Aspers, P., & Dodd, N. (2015). Re-Imagining Economic Sociology. Oxford: OUP Oxford. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1200997
- Portes, A. (2010). Economic Sociology : A Systematic Inquiry. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=329852
- Tittenbrun, J. (2011). Economy in Society : Economic Sociology Revisited. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=524366