Research Seminar “Urban Studies”
- Know main concepts related to the social processes in urban space
- Know research areas related to the contemporary urban studies
- Know theoretical concepts explaining the functioning of the cities
- Know classical and contemporary examples of the empirical studies in an urban space
- Be able to analyze theoretical sources, juxtaposition different approaches to the analysis of the urban space;
- Be able to formulate the topic of an empirical study in the field of urban studies, prepare methodological tools for the research
- Introduction in urban studiesMain directions of the urban studies; key theoretical approaches, features, organizing principles, ways of the development of urban studies, as well as the key tools of data collection and analysis in the area of urban issues’ research.
- GentrificationKey approaches to the analysis of the processes of displacement and migration of urban populations as a result of increased rent, development of cultural projects, and general changes on the real estate market; main effects of gentrification in the European and North American cities.
- Social segregation in a cityKey approaches to the studies of social segregation in urban spaces: ethnical / race ghetto, ethnic village, suburbanization, and integration.
- Ethnic, religious, educational segregationCases of the social segregation in a city based on such characteristics as belonging to a certain ethnical group or religious group; segregation based on unequal educational opportunities in the field of vocational and tertiary education.
- Crimes in the city: criminological urban studiesMain approaches to studying the safety and crimes in the city; relation with different characteristics of urban territories: socio-economic composition, ethnicity/ race, level of cohesion of the local community, visual order.
- Issues of the development of local communitiesOpportunities and limitation for the development of the neighborhoods; grass-roots self-organizing; main ways and barriers for the involvement of urban populations in the local problem-solving
- Types of participatory involvement in the city’s problem solvingForms of the participatory involvement of the citizens, expert communities, art collectives, social researchers and universities in the projects on the urban environment renovation on the local and city level.
- Erdi Lelandais, G. (2014). Understanding the City : Henri Lefebvre and Urban Studies. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=806572
- Imbroscio, D. L., & Davies, J. S. (2010). Critical Urban Studies : New Directions. Albany: State University of New York Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=343793