Research Seminar “Economics, Business and Society”
- Research Seminar is aimed at discussing academic research in the field of economic sociology, and at the formation of professional competences in studying business, economy, and society. Students will also learn how to write and read academic papers.
- Understand the principles of doing academic research
- Know the methods and principles of sociological research
- Know the specificity of sociological approach to studying economy
- Able to conduct sociological research
- Able to use qualitative methods of data collection and analysis
- Able to study business and economic with sociological methods
- Structure of academic work and management of a research projectThe goal of the first module is to give the students some general understanding of the social structures behind academic work, and to provide support for the start of their own yearly essay/bachelor thesis.
- Field researchThe goal is the development of students' fieldwork skills. Entering the “field” is used for the student's approbation of sociological research methods (interviews, participant observation, etc.), understanding the possibilities of research methods for collecting empirical material at various field “sites”. The work can be carried out individually and collectively or in a professional research team. Plan: preparation for the field, work on the topic and key concepts. Selection of research instruments and obtainment of empirical data (observation, data recording, ethnographic interview). Field research in the context of global digitalization (social networks, mobile applications, visual data). Final discussion on fieldwork and preparation of a research report on fieldwork (text no more than 3 pages or presentation). This part will also include the workshops with practicing sociologists Workshops on field research by leading Russian sociologists (online meetings with foreign researchers are also possible). Discussion of designs and results of empirical studies, specifics of research stages, ethical issues.
- Student’s academic workDuring this module the focus will be done on the development of the students’ academic writing and research skills and the discussion of their research papers/project (course papers, research thesis). The main goal of this part is to help students with their research projects. We will discuss how the paper should be organized, the requirements for the research paper, the progress and the difficulties that students have by that moment with their research.
- In-class participation
- Homework1Presentation of the individual research proposal
- Homework 2Presentation of the research design and piloting of instrument
- Interim assessment (3 module)0.3 * Exam + 0.2 * Homework 2 + 0.2 * Homework1 + 0.3 * In-class participation
- Aspers, P., & Dodd, N. (2015). Re-Imagining Economic Sociology. Oxford: OUP Oxford. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1200997
- Portes, A. (2010). Economic Sociology : A Systematic Inquiry. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=329852
- Tittenbrun, J. (2011). Economy in Society : Economic Sociology Revisited. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=524366