Methodology and Methods for Sociological Research
- The course covers the following general topics: - Research design - Quantitative methodology - Qualitative methodology - Online studies - Research ethics
- Know the main stages of a research
- Be able to formulate research question and choose appropriate methodology
- Understand the basic idea and the differences between main research methods: survey, anthropological/ biographical study, online research etc
- Know the ethical requirements and limitations for different research methods
- Introduction in social researchThe topic reveals the general logic and tasks of sociological research, the main stereotypes of "non-sociologists" about the procedure of sociological research. Lecture: The main stages and features of sociological research Seminars and practical sessions: Generalized scheme of sociological research
- Deciding on the methodsThe topic is devoted to the possibilities and limitations of the main methods used in sociological research. Lecture: Choosing a Method of Sociological Research Seminars and practical sessions: Qualitative and quantitative methods of sociological research; Overview of Basic Methods
- Ethical issues in social researchThe topic discusses the basic principles of ethics, the rights of research participants, the concepts of anonymity and confidentiality. An overview of the main provisions of ethical codes. Lecture: Ethics of Sociological Research Seminars and practical sessions: General ethical principles and ethics of sociological research; Round table devoted to the discussion of the problematic aspects of the ethics of social research
- Quantitative research methodsThe topic highlights the main features of the quantitative approach in sociology. Lecture: Quantitative methods in sociology. Seminars and practical sessions: Features of quantitative methodology.
- Qualitative research methodsThe topic highlights the main features of a qualitative approach in sociology. Seminars and practical sessions: Features of qualitative methodology; The main methods of qualitative research
- Internet Data AnalysisThe topic discusses the main features of working with big data, the possibilities of working with Internet data sources, typical research questions solved using data from the Internet. Seminars and practical sessions: The main sources of Internet data; Research issues solved with data from the Internet.
- Activities in class
- Home tasksIn case of the lack of class participation during the class, additional essays may be assigned in order to test the understanding of the topic. The grade for the essay will be included into home tasks grade.
- Exam 1 year
- Interim assessment (3 module)0.25 * Activities in class + 0.4 * Exam 1 year + 0.1 * Home tasks + 0.25 * Tests
- Hegde, D. S. (2015). Essays on Research Methodology. New Delhi: Springer. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=nlebk&AN=1001250
- Maruyama, G., & Ryan, C. S. (2014). Research Methods in Social Relations (Vol. 8th ed). Malden, Mass: Wiley-Blackwell. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=798826
- Kothari, C. R. (2004). Research Methodology : Methods & Techniques (Vol. 2nd rev. ed). New Delhi: New Age International. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=277465
- Rugg, G., & Petre, M. (2007). A Gentle Guide to Research Methods. Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill Education. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=234246