Левин Сергей Михайлович
- The primary goal of this course is to introduce students to the key issues in contemporary and classical philosophy. The second goal is to develop students’ abilities to think critically about their core beliefs.
- Students will be able to describe and distinguish key philosophical concepts in the main subfields of philosophy, including concepts such as free will, mind, knowledge, good, etc.
- Students will be able to discuss core philosophical problems, such as whether there is a god, what does it mean to be conscious, are we free to make choices, what is justice, etc.
- Students will be able to explain and defend a position on basic philosophical problems.
- Normative ethics
- Justifications of Punishment
- Civil Disobedience
- Philosophy of Mind
- Free Will
- Final examThe final test will be held at Schoology at the end of the course. It lasts 40 minutes and contains 15 questions.
- TestThere will be two mid-term tests on Schoology.com during the time of the lectures. Each test would last 30 minutes and contain 15 questions.
- Writing assignmentsFor each seminar, you can earn points by completing the small writing assignments before the seminars and at the seminars. The tasks you will see in Schoology. There is a deadline for your answers, which will be the end of two days before the seminar. For example, if your seminar is scheduled on 15th April, the deadline for uploading a homework is 13th April, 23:55.
- Pritchard, D. (2016). What Is This Thing Called Philosophy? London: Routledge. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1222339
- Kowalski, D. (2012). Moral Theory at the Movies : An Introduction to Ethics. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=463728
- Teays, W. (2012). Seeing the Light : Exploring Ethics Through Movies. Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=510067